June 15, 2024

Happy Hollyhocks...

Check out these crazy hollyhocks! That blue pot, nearly engulfed by the hollyhocks is large and heavy. It stands nearly three feet tall. The hollyhocks are nearly five feet tall, and they're getting ready to bloom. Won't that be magnificent?


This is the other side of the walkway. In between these two photos of the hollyhocks are three hostas holding their own, and a huge lavender plant...with lots of grass and weeds around them. I have a young man lined up who is doing yard work this summer, but he and his dad tell me he's swamped right now. ugh 

I know I'm going to have to do something to tame the wild growth in the next few days. but I have other things on my agenda first. Craft Day waits for no woman, so I'm hoping I'll have good weeding weather on Sunday.

I'm going to make tea so I can take a go-cuppa with me, and then I'll be on my way to Portage for the morning. I'll share photos on Monday of our projects. I sure hope they like what I've come up with! Gotta scoot...

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see them all bloomed, they are so pretty.
    Have fun at craft day!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      The ones closest to the side of the house started blooming after last night's rain. I'll take more photos as soon as the outer ones start to flower! We had a ball on Saturday. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Hollyhocks are so pretty so you're going to have some glorious colour soon. Have fun at craft day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm really looking forward to it. We had a great time. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: I love Hollyhocks. The ones here in St. George are all done blooming. Did you grow yours from seed or starter plants? Our nursery does not have any for sale. I also love lavender but I only have the Spanish variety and it is done blooming. I would love to have the English variety which is the one for making lavender wands and drying the buds. Happy crafting day and I know I will love what you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      My first hollyhocks in this area were plants. They've since reseeded themselves every year, bullying out most of the other plants. Last year, after I'd thought they'd killed off all Shelly's mom's morning glories, I was delighted to see the blue flowers vine their way right up the hollyhock stems. Quite a lovely bouquet! I have English and French lavender. Both are great for drying and wands, but they're also perfect for lavender jelly, too!
      Thank you, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a view. Looking forward to those buds exploding.
    They are such a beautiful flower.
    Safe travels and enjoy your craft day.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      There should be at least five different shades from white to dark magenta when they bloom. It's always a surprise which seeds take from year to year. Craft day was fun, as always. Thank you so much!!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna