December 8, 2023

Sweet Treats Today...

I only made three different treats yesterday... Top to Bottom: Cranberry Nut Drop Cookies, Magic Cookie Bars, and what my old recipe card calls Toffee Bars. 

First, those Toffee Bars aren't really toffee, but they do taste like it. The base is flour, butter, egg yolk, salt and vanilla. Once that's baked for 25 minutes, it's taken out of the oven and milk chocolate is allowed to melt on the hot cookie-like base. Once it's melted, spread and top with nuts. Cut into small squares while still warm. They're really tasty. Click HERE to go to Mom on Time Out's blog and get the same recipe I used. I suspect her mom made them when she was a kid, too, like my mom did.

The Magic Cookie Bars are a recipe I've had for a long time. You've probably made them. It's a recipe from Eagle Brand, and it uses sweetened condensed milk. Click HERE for the link to this recipe.

Finally, the top photograph is the Cranberry Nut Drop Cookies. They're really delicious to me because they're a bit tart and a bit sweet. Click HERE for a recipe very close to mine. The difference is that my recipe calls for orange juice instead of lemon juice, and I used hickory nuts instead of walnuts. Oh, and I don't have any milk less than whole milk in our house. 

None of these recipes are difficult. Otherwise, I dare say I wouldn't have made all three batches today. Of course, the bar recipes are almost like cheating because they go into one pan all at once, and then are just cut apart. Even so, I managed to get all of them done and put away, with a sweet treat for an after dinner dessert last night.

My plan is to rest today, and just sit and stitch. I haven't decided what my project will be quite yet, so I'll just follow my muse...after a cuppa, of course. Goodness, how can it be the weekend again already?!

12 comments:

  1. I also make the Magic bars, & my Mom's Toffee Bars, which are the same as yours.
    She made them every year.
    I made the Reese's Cup & plan to make 2 more kinds of cookies today, then sit & stitch.
    We are on the same wave length! :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      That sounds delicious! I guess we sure are. Happy Baking!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Those look delicious! I made 4 batches of double chocolate biscotti for the teachers at my daughter’s school. That has been a tradition for almost 8 years, and they get so excited that they start asking her when biscotti day will be! She’s a senior so the teachers are sad. They don’t know I gave the recipe to teacher who will become the biscotti lady! We usually make gingerbread cookies, but they have been replaced with ginger doodles which are much easier. You can find the recipe at https://laurenslatest.com/soft-chewy-gingerdoodle-sandwich-cookies/. Enjoy your peaceful stitching day! I’m looking forward to my son Daniel coming home for Christmas break today! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      Biscotti sounds heavenly! I bet your teachers loved them.I'm going to look up those ginger doodles now, too! Have a great time with Daniel!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. mmmmm- I"ll take one of each please! Resident Chef makes butter tarts every year and heaven help him if he doesn't. This year he didn't make as many so we'll see if there's too much of a hue and cry over it. Oddly enough we don't even care for them because they're too sweet! We each eat one and that's it for us - the rest get gifted. In recent years he's started making chocolates which we much prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      You're a lucky woman, my friend. Handmade chocolates? I don't think it could get much better than that.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh the Magic Cookie Bars, we made them for years.
    Your plan is to rest, hummm, looking forward to hearing how that worked out.
    Another week gone, have a wonderful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      When I told Handsome I was making the Magic Cookie Bars, he said, "Coconut? Ugh." There nearly gone...and I didn't eat them all! I may have to wait until closer to Christmas to make more so there will be some for gifting. (wink) As far as rest? You were right. Not much of that going on. sigh Good intentions and all...
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Thank you very much for sharing these recipes with us. I really love sweets so these are right up my alley. The weekend certainly comes quickly now that I am not chained to a desk! Happy Stitching Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      You're quite welcome, dear. I have a sweet tooth, too. I should know better than to have such things around. sigh You're sure right about how quickly the time passes. I don't know how I ever got anything done when I worked outside the house. I prefer to be home, though.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. These recipes look very good. I have made the magic cookie bars many years ago. Thanks for reminding me about how good they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie:
      I'm glad I could direct you to the recipes others had already shared. My recipes are all handwritten, but well-used. These were more popular than I realized. They were just always family favorites for us. I hope you're planning to make up a batch or two for yourself or to share.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna