December 2, 2023

Life Is A Gift...

"Bedtime Stories" by Jessica Boehman

Today is my sister, Lyn's funeral. Jan and I put together the photo boards yesterday, as Diana got a late start leaving Minnesota. She arrived in the afternoon, but didn't stay long. She had neck surgery not long enough ago that a nearly six hour drive from her home to us won't cause her a great deal of pain. Her husband couldn't get time off work (and they really tried!), so she came on her own, as she absolutely wasn't going to miss being here for this weekend. Jan and I sent her off to rest up at her son, Dan's home with his family. 

We worked on the boards most of the day, and Jan finally left here after dark - around 5 pm. When I went downstairs from the studio, Handsome told me that he had dinner ready to cook, so we got everything going and I was prepared to sit down for a bit. It was then that I realized we sisters hadn't mixed up the hot chocolate mix for the reception tomorrow, so I pulled out all the ingredients and had it done in less than fifteen minutes. Di is in charge of beverages, so I'll take it with us to give to her. The reception will be in the fellowship hall after the funeral, and we'll all be there to complete the set up prior to the visitation.

I'd like to share a little something I found yesterday. I'm sorry that I can't share an attribution as it wasn't given. The artwork is from the creative hands and mind of Jessica Boehman. I really love this piece, and it's so appropriate for this verse.

"The winter solstice time is no longer celebrated as it once was, with the understanding that this is a period of descent and rest, of going within our homes, within ourselves, and taking in all that we have been through, all that has passed in this full year which is coming to a close... like nature and the animal kingdom around us, this time of hibernation is so necessary for our tired limbs, our burdened minds.
 
...the natural tug to go inwards, as nearly all creatures are doing is strong and the weather so bitter that people are left feeling that winter is hard because, for those of us without burning fires and big festive families, it can be lonely and isolating. Whereas winter is kind, it points us in its quiet, soft way towards our inner self, this annual time of peace and reflection, embracing the darkness and forgiving, accepting, and loving, embracing goodbye the past year.
 
Winter takes away the distractions, the buzz, and presents us with the perfect time to rest and withdraw into a womb-like love, bringing fire & light to our hearth.
 
.. and then, just around the corner the new year will begin again, and like a seed planted deep in the earth, we will all rise with renewed energy once again to dance in the sunlight.
Life is a gift💗"
 
This is all I have left to share today, my friends. I know this will be one of the more difficult days of my life. We'll be celebrating my sister's life today, wishing that she were still among us, and most grateful she was a part of our family. Thanks for being the first to make me a big sister, Lyn. Rest well.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful message.
    Rest in Peace Lyn.
    ((((((HUGS))))))
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful words to a beautiful picture! Sending prayers and strength to all.
    Thank You for sharing
    Darlene North

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words, on a hard day for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is indeed a gift. The artwork and the quote are both wonderful.
    Thoughts are with you and your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you this day. Take care. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry of createology: Donna Dear you and your family will be a wonderful support for one another. Lyn is no longer in pain and she will be a beautiful Angel watching over all of you. Love You.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for a beautiful day with loved ones celebrating a beautiful life! It is indeed a gift to celebrate and warmly embrace and remember all those dear people who make it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care Donna, thinking of you and your family at this time of sorrow and honouring your beloved sister's life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the verse and artwork.
    Yes, Life is a gift.
    You know you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna