December 7, 2023

Cooking In The Kitchen...

The last of the potatoes were canned yesterday, adding a dozen quarts of (kind of) cubed potatoes to the pantry. I believe I canned about 30 pounds of potatoes in total. We had eaten some from the bag prior to these two days of canning, I kept about 7 pounds fresh, and tossed about 7 pounds that had turned. I waited to photograph this lot until after they'd all sealed, cooled, and were labeled.

As I was recuperating from surgery as the tomatoes all ripened late summer, there are bags and bags (and more bags) of tomatoes in the freezer. I decided to pull a couple to see how they fared, having never frozen tomatoes before. 

After they thawed, I cut out the cores and popped them in batches into my food processor. I tried multiple recipes for pizza sauce this year, but found the Mrs. Wages Pizza Sauce mix made the best tasting sauce. These four jars were actually half a batch for the package instructions, so it was a good test. 

I can say that the frozen-then-thawed tomatoes passed the taste test and I'll be looking forward to processing the balance from the freezers into more pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, salsa, and as stewed tomatoes.

Today I'm going to do the holiday baking. I've pulled about six different recipes for cookies, bars, and candy. We'll see how far I get before I run out of gas. I'll have to work fast to keep ahead of Handsome's sweet tooth. I'm hoping to have more than a few filled tins by the end of the day. Just one cup of coffee and then the mixing shall commence.

7 comments:

  1. You've been busy!
    I am going to do some baking today too.
    I pulled out favorite cookie recipes.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I have! Can't wait to find out which cookies you've baked!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. My goodness, you've been a whirling dervish in the kitchen!! Doesn't it give you such a feeling of satisfaction though when you see all those jars all lined up and looking so pretty. And now....I wonder how soon it will be before I can smell those cookies baking....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I love that term! (Whirling dervish) It sure does, and I sleep like a log at night when I've been this busy during the day.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. The Energizer Bunny is pouting, you are running circles around him!
    How can you possibly do all of this on just one cup of coffee?
    What an accomplishment, I would definitely smile every time I went into the pantry.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I'm going to need some of his batteries soon! I usually pour about four cups in the morning, but because I'm always busy, I rarely drink one total cup. Sometimes I go into the pantry just to look inside the cabinets. A bit like Scrooge McDuck in his counting room. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Bravo! That's a lot of work. Good to know about freezing tomatoes. That can come in handy in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna