December 4, 2023

Birthday 2023 In The Can...

 
Saturday was a beautiful tribute to my sister. So many friends and family attended her funeral, and we all shared many happy memories. 

When we got home, I changed my clothes into something comfortable, and while I fed the cats, Handsome took care of airing and feeding the dogs. Just as it got dark, it began to snow. I went upstairs and took a two hour nap. I was gassed. 

By the time I woke up, the snow had stopped. Handsome and I had a bite to eat and went to bed at our usual time.

 
Handsome woke me up yesterday morning with a "Happy Birthday", and "you might not want to look out the window". He was right. Mother Nature snow bombed our area of the state - and it was still snowing. We had Birthday plans in Milwaukee, and this weather threatened to cancel everything we wanted to do.

After checking our weather apps, it appeared that most of the weather was north of us, and that we would likely drive out of it on our way south. We decided to go for it, and we're really glad we did.

 
Handsome had purchased tickets for us to see a screening of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 at the Riverside Theater. Just like The Prisoner of Azkaban four winters ago (I saw with our granddaughters), the Milwaukee Symphony performed the music score along with the movie. The maestro encouraged audience reactions, and they weren't disappointed.

The program began at 1 pm and ended around 4. We'd originally planned to stay in town for dinner, but we left the dogs in their crates at 10 am, and felt it was getting to be a long stretch for them, so home we went. We had a joyfully unfancy dinner of hot dogs, tater tots, and homemade applesauce. A perfect meal to end a perfect day. 
 
Of course, you know I'm still going to stretch our my celebration as long as possible, so this is just the beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing what will be next.

14 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday, Donna! Sounds like a fun time! Hope today is a bit slower paced to regroup a little from the weekend and preceeding weeks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Lois. We did have a fun time, and it was just what the doctor ordered. Everything is better when I spend time with Handsome.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Happy belated Birthday!
    That looks like a fun event.
    We had a lot of snow also, but it was mostly slush & water, very heavy to shovel.
    Glad you went home to the pups.
    That is a fun meal!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thank you so much! It really was a wonderful time. It's still snowy here, but thanks to Andy, our driveway was clear when we got home from Milwaukee. He's really one of the good guys.
      The dogs were happy to see us, too. I don't need any fancy meals to celebrate my birthday anymore. I'm happy to spend the time with people who are important to me, and Handsome is always top of that list.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you got to do something fun to celebrate your birthday and look forward to further celebrations over the next few weeks. After all, birthdays should last more than one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks! I couldn't agree more, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, and I'm glad your plans worked out. You needed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really was nice that the weather didn't tank our plans. You're right, dear. I surely did.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! Sounds like fun day. The snow is beautiful even if it is miserable for you. I’m glad you were able to enjoy your day despite the weather! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      Thank you, hon. It was a fun day, and by the time we got to the show, I'd nearly forgotten about snow. When we got home, we found our driveway plowed out by our great neighbor, Andy. Some of it melted, but there's still snow on the ground. I'll hazard a guess that it's officially winter now. Oh, well. It doesn't do much to complain, except to make me look like a complainer, and I really don't want that! I guess I need to embrace the white stuff for the next four or five months. I'll make a point to do better.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Sherry of createology: What a wonderful Birthday Celebration! Handsome is so thoughtful and caring. December is your birthday month dear! Keep celebrating and enJOYing each and every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      He really is the best, isn't he? You're right! The entire month of December is going to be my celebration month. I'll just look for joy in the smallest of things. Friendship - like yours - is a great place to start.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday. I do remember seeing somewhere that it is a Birthday Month, not just a day.
    What a fun afternoon, and perfect dinner, it's not what you're eating but who you are with, although that hotdog sounds pretty good.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I couldn't agree more. Starting with the "who I'm with" part. You really know who your friends are when they're willing to share hot dogs with you on a special occasion. You make the guest list!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna