December 16, 2023

How We Spent Friday...

You're probably sick of seeing photos of our pantry, but there's a reason I'm sharing it again today. We're planning a small remodel in here to begin after the first of the year. 

Study this image a bit and you'll notice a sink up here on the left side. It's in a corner. There's a doorway coming into this pantry, so the wall is just a little deeper than the cabinets. The counter is the standard 33" height. Then, it steps down to 24". It was great for canning because I could lift the jars out of my electric canner a bit easier, but I have two "wants".

Number One "Want" is to have the sink in front of the window. Number Two "Want" is to have the counters all set at 39" as Handsome and I are both tall and it would be much more comfortable for us. We had done this in the home we built before moving to Florida and loved it.

So, here's a bit of the plan...the cabinets are already custom-built by the carpenter (artist, really) who was lead carpenter on the home we built over twenty five years ago. He's retired now and lives about five minutes from us. Where the sink is now will be my baking cabinet, with an overhead that was part of the set we installed near the range in the kitchen. There will be a drawer unit where the opening is, plus part of the current drawer area, then a 36" sink base centered on the window, and a smaller 18" pull out next to that for dog food containers. The very last cabinet in the current photo (before you get to the end cabinets) will stay in place. That way we don't have to modify those original end cabinets so we can still open the doors on the uppers.

Here's a better shot of the sink corner. We also bought that great little countertop dishwasher that sits where the coffee pot is in this photo. That will go to the right of the sink in the new installation.

We went yesterday to choose a sink (stainless steel) and faucet, and then we went to look at countertops. We planned to go either with a marble-look formica or the same hickory we have in the kitchen. Then I saw a quartz counter that I fell in love with. Handsome and I are currently negotiating, as there's a significant difference in cost between the three options. I think he's drawn to hickory - and I obviously love that option, too. I'll leave our ultimate decision for the final reveal.

I've chosen to paint the base cabinets to match the gray/green cabinets in the kitchen, and the overhead will remain the fruitwood stain with no additional paint. I have a few more things to do prior to the tear out, but none of that will happen until after Christmas or New Years. Then it will be a flurry of activity to get it all done so I'm not without a sink in the kitchen for too long. Isn't this exciting?

Needless to say, I didn't get my sewing done, so I'm going to be in the studio today...and likely early next week to finish. I have a Christmas party to attend in Portage on Sunday, so there won't be any studio time. It's always a busy time of year for me! I'm working on a few other surprises for the new year. Those are going to have to wait to share but I promise it won't be long.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful project.
    I think it's pretty the way it is too!
    But you have to make it fit your needs.
    Have fun at the party!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It's been a difficult decision for sure. Having that sink in the corner though was the deciding factor. I really need it in front of the window, which necessitates the higher counters. I really want to leave the rest of the cabinetry as it, though, possibly changing only the doors at some time so they sit on the cabinet instead of inside. They stick terribly in the summer and sanding edges doesn't help much. We'll see.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I can identify with the need for higher countertops because both Resident Chef and I are tall too. Of course now we're in an apartment we're stuck with the normal height. We did manage to bring a custom-built unit that is high enough but sadly it's wearing out and the drawers are giving us grief. Don't know how we can replace it because RC has nowhere to build a new one. Wish we had a retired cabinet maker living closeby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I wish you had a retired cabinet maker, too. We're so fortunate because we worked with Jeff for more than a few large projects. He's a master at his craft.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: I just adore vintage everything so I know your remodel will be wonderful. Our last home had higher counter tops and it was wonderful for us with bad backs. I am very excited for you dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      We are going with stainless for the sink. The white one we have is constant maintenance for the slightest scuff. It's always got black marks in it. The nice thing will be that the new sink will be 7" wider than the current one. (Actually the shape is just like what we had in Florida!) Poor Handsome complains about his aching back whenever he offers to wash dishes. The higher counters will be a true blessing. Thanks, hon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh what an exciting project. The final reveal can't come fast enough.
    Sink in front of a window is always top priority for me.
    Enjoy your Sunday Christmas Party.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I agree, dear. As much as I love my creamware above the sink, I'd much rather look out the window! I'm planning bird feeders and flowers in that little corner this spring, so I have hummingbirds and more to watch while I'm sudsing up dishes! Our party was a grand gathering. Thanks so much, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna