November 9, 2023

Weeds...

 
I've added a new reference book to my needlework library. It's A Golden - Weeds. It's a reference guide to "the pest plants of the United States that invade lawns, gardens, fields, and roadsides." I guess one man's weed is another man's treasure. I love and promote them in our yard.

Let me explain. When the weather is so dry that the grass dies off, the weeds grow up and show off their natural finery. Chickory, Queen Anne's Lace, mullein, English daisies, sorrel and more are all considered weeds in this book, yet it wouldn't be summer in Wisconsin without them. In fact, many of them have medicinal properties and were used as poultices, teas, and other remedies by native Americans and settlers. There's much we could learn from them.

 
I saw this for sale online - paying a few dollars more than the $1.95 cover price - and wanted it to add to my needlework library as a reference guide for flower and plant embroideries.

 
While the copy is less than favorable to each plant, the illustrations are accurate and I'll be able to build upon them for my projects. I chose the mullein page because we also have these magnificent plants in the surrounding farmlands, and occasionally on the edges of our fields. They're highly prized for medicinal value, so I actually seek them out when I'm walking or driving. It's sad to see that it - and many other beneficial plants - were, and still are considered undesirables.

This small book nearly fits in the palm of my hand, so it will tuck nicely into my sewing basket when needed. It's 160 pages long, so there are a lot of illustrations to draw from. I'll look forward to paging through it for inspiration as I work on my Autumn Strawberry Sachet.

I'm having lunch with my almost sister-in-law/sister-by-choice, Deb (Mom Grace's daughter) today. When I get back I'll sit down to my frogs again. I'm working as I'm able toward completion. My self-imposed deadline is Saturday so I can package them up to mail out on Monday. I'm quite sure I'll make it on time. I think now I'll make my morning cuppa and sit down at the needlework frame for a bit before I have to leave. See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. That looks like a great book.
    I also look for pretty weeds!
    My favorites are Queen Anne's Lace, & Thistles, I love both, I think they are so pretty.
    It will be a great book for your awesome embroidery.
    Have a fun lunch!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      That being the case, you would have loved it around here this summer. You know the garden and terrace area around the porch were sorely neglected as I was recuperating. Thistles took over the terrace...some being worthy of State Fair competitions! Queen Anne's Lace is definitely my favorite, and they're nearly always accompanied by chickory. A gorgeous combination in my mind. Lunch was long overdue and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Such a charming little book and I know it's filled with inspiration if it's anything like any other Golden Guides I've seen. My favourite is chickory - because....well....blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I might have guessed. I love that color blue, too. It's such a sweet shade.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Such a wonderful little book of references and knowledge. It will surely bring lots of inspiration to your beautiful stitchings. Enjoy your lunch date dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thank you so much, dear. I'm really enjoying paging through it, and will incorporate some of my versions into my needlework very soon. Lunch with Sis was wonderful. It was long overdue, too, making it doubly nice.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet little book. So much inspiration.
    Enjoy lunch.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Indeed. I wish I could share every image! I'll be adding some to my autumn strawberry soon. Thanks, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna