September 1, 2023

Healing...

 
I'm not sure there's ever a good time for a surgery, but right now I'm looking at a garden, filled with ripening tomatoes and squash blossoms and I have to wonder what I was thinking? My blog has been on auto-pilot for the past few days, so that's why you haven't had responses to your comments since Monday.

Handsome and I left home on Tuesday morning at 5 am for a 6:45 check-in time at the hospital in Green Bay, and I had Surgery #8 related to what Handsome refers to as The Troubles. My doctor said everything went perfectly, and now we wait to see how I heal. You see, he recently called me "an enigma" because any one of Surgeries #3-7 (not all performed by him) should have worked and didn't. I did everything I was told to do by the professionals, yet my body said, "Wait a sec. I have a different idea." I'm praying that this time will be the last time, and that my body will heal as it should, and The Troubles will be over.
 
We're both grateful to my little sister, Jan, who came down on Monday to spend the night and next day tending dogs and cats so we needn't worry about how long they were kenneled, or if they'd get fed. She took care of all that for us, and really eased our minds. Thanks, JJ. xoxo

It's been a long three years since this began and I'm ready to move on from it. Right now, I'm sore with a long incision across my "bikini line" (something I haven't actually worn in decades) and a line of stitches and staples to hold things in place until they can be removed in a couple weeks. I have a five pound lifting restriction for the next twelve weeks, and I'm going to follow that to the letter. Handsome is currently bagging tomatoes for the freezer, and I'll get to them when I get to them. It looks like I'll have to cancel my booth for the September show, and possibly the one in November as well. I'm really bummed about that development.

For now, I'm sore whether I stand, sit or am prone. Coughing can send me into fits of pain, and I spend a lot of time being coddled. I don't mind that, but you must know by now that it's not my usual modus operandi.

I promise to share the facts of how I got to this point at a later date, but for now, I'm going to beg your indulgence and head back to bed. I've been reading your comments, but it's impossible to respond from my phone, so I'll sit at my computer tomorrow and answer as many as I can from this week. I have read them all, so I apologize for leaving you hanging. I love and miss you and will be back soon.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Donna, I sure hope you recover from this long-going process soon.
    I know you're had this for a few years now.
    Prayers.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marilyn. Your prayers are deeply appreciated. I'm resting and taking it really easy. Between the incision and Handsome, I have no choice. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Oh, Donna, I'm so sorry to hear that you have continued to deal with a health issue! One would never even guess that you have been hindered in any way with the many, many things you accomplish! You obviously come from "tough stock," and God has given you the grace and strength to go forth. Praying this surgery does the job and healing is thorough and quick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lois:
      This has definitely been a long road. It all began with a badly botched surgery and everything after was because of that. I've done my best to deal with it, but finally got to a point where I was only left with one or two choices. I took the more palatable one. I'll explain more later, I promise. For now, I'll rest and heal to do the best to make this one a success. Thanks so much for your concern. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Awww.....no!!! I didn't know you had to have yet another surgery and I'm praying that you heal properly and quickly from this latest one. It's never a good time for these things but I know Handsome will do whatever he can to keep you comfortable and also deal with the garden produce too. Sending you healing thoughts!!! (and don't worry about responding to comments...we all understand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Yeah, I'm none too happy about it, but really had few choices left. Better to do it now and heal in the event Handsome wants to go back to Florida after Christmas. We go out to the garden together, I point and he picks. Not the way I would have chosen, but he's a wonderful caretaker. I want to heal to let him off the hook as soon as I can. Thank you so much, dear for your message and healing thoughts. It's all deeply appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Take care of you! We will be praying for you and complete healing. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Andrea. I appreciate the prayers more than you may know.
      Gratefully,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Donna, you are in my prayers for healing. I hope your recovery works for you this time. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy:
      Thank you so much for your prayers. They mean the world to me. I'm praying that this time works, too. I'm kind of out of options. More about that soon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Dear Donna, Thinking of you and praying that this surgery is the one that works. Take good care and hugs to you (and the pups)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Wanda. Your prayers are most appreciated. Handsome is taking the best care of all of us. I don't know where I'd be without him. Happy September.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry to hear this Donna, this just stopped me in my tracks.
    You are definitely in my prayers.
    I'm hoping that this is the surgery that works.
    Sending healing thoughts your way.
    Have a restful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shirley:
      I'm so sorry to surprise you with this message. I figured you should know why I'm suddenly unproductive. I'm doing my best to rest and heal, and of course, my body tells me sooner rather than later. Then Handsome steps in, too. We really want this surgery to be the fix, so I'm strictly following doctor's orders. Thank you so much for your concern and healing thoughts. They're deeply appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. I truly hope this time is the charm and you can finally heal and be back to your wonderful energetic self. This has clearly been a "long row to hoe" for you - enjoy your coddling (as much as you can) and take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna