September 12, 2023

Tuesdays With Tag -

 
Hi, Everybody!
 
It's been a little cool and cloudy around here these days, so we usually only go out on the porch for Mom and Dad's mornin' cuppa coffee or tea. I don't really mind this weather, though. I've got a nice double coat that makes me comfortable whether it's hot or cold outside. I have to admit, I do like sunshine - even when it's cold.

Today's post is a little sad, so I'm givin' you fair warnin'. Mom's purpose in goin' outside first every mornin' is to make sure there are no gifted remnants from those two stoopid cats. Mom feels bad when she sees what they've brought onto the porch for two reasons. One is that it means they terminated somethin'. The other is that most of the time, she has to clean it up.

 
I usually sit back and stay out of the way so I don't get hollered at. You can understand how Mom gets upset by this, and whenever Dad says somethin', she tells him that if he'd let her bring the girls inside, this wouldn't happen anymore. So far, they're still livin' outside, but Mom's persistent and will continue to gently lobby to bring them in.

 
While Mom is always sad, she was especially upset to find a wee weasel on the porch last weekend. We didn't even realize they lived around us, so it was a surprise, too.

If you don't know about weasels, they're actually the smallest true carnivore, and they'll eat everythin' from mice to young rabbits to bird eggs. They also produce a lot of young, so there are likely more around the farm. Knowin' how fierce they can be, I suspect this one put up a fight before appearin' on our porch. You know Mom would have helped it escape if she'd known. 
 
She helped a chipmunk get away yesterday. Claudette brought it up on the porch while Mom was havin' her tea. Mom distracted Claudette until the chipmunk ran off the porch, and then she put Claudette in the garage for a timeout, until she was sure the chipmunk was safely back in the woods. Mom was pretty tired after all that excitement, so she sat down for a bit and then let Claudette out of the garage about 30 minutes later.

Anyway, even though the weasel is a little predator, too, we're sad that the cats got him or her, and of course, in pure Mom-fashion, there was a proper burial for the critter. Mom will redouble her efforts to get the cats indoors so stuff like this doesn't happen again. Thankfully, findin' such things on the porch hasn't even been a weekly occurrence around here. I mean, Mom feeds these two just to avoid these extra curricular activities. We hope that this doesn't happen again, for sure.

RIP, little weasel. 

I'll see you again in seven. 'til then... 
"Be A Good Dog." 

6 comments:

  1. First off, you are just too handsome. Not much else to say.
    I am sorry for the tiny creature, as others would say to me, 'it's nature', well poo on nature.
    I'm with mom, save them all.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Shirley:
      Mom agrees completely with you. Good thing I wasn't on the porch at the time, or there could have been a real ruckus!
      Smooches,
      xoxo
      Tag

      Delete
  2. Awww, that little Weasel is kinda cute.
    RIP
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Marilyn:
      Mom agreed. It really was cute. Thanks.
      Smooches,
      xoxo
      Tag

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: I have ever seen a baby weasel. I sure do learn a lot from you Tag and of course your mom. My daughter on her farm in TN just got two kittens to be mousers. With chickens and bunnies and all her other critters she has lots of mice and rats that cause lots of damage and sadness for her animals. Tell mom I agree Claudette and Crystal should live indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Sherry:
      I'd love to see your daughter's farm. Did you know I'm a herdin' dog? Yep. I'm sure I'd be busy at her place! I hope her kittens turn into great mousers. The other animals will appreciate their protection. We all get along with the cats inside - except Dad. Mom and Dad made an agreement a long time before I came along. "If one of us says 'no', the answer is no." Mom's already pushed the limit on that by keepin' the cats. She doesn't want to end up livin' in the barn with them, so they're outside for now.
      Smooches!
      xoxo
      Tag

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna