September 25, 2023

Weekend Projects...

 
Session One (of two) for the latest Clara Warshauer (@clarastitching) class was Saturday afternoon. This project is to create a koi brooch, but Clara is looking for suggestions from her class on other ways to finish it. When it's finished, it's a bit larger than I'd wear a brooch, but I have a few other ideas in mind that I'll share later.

Our class was two and a half hours long, and they're Zoom classes so we get to meet other classmates and interact with Clara while she's teaching. She also records the sessions so that we can watch them later, if needed. Her classes are always fun, and two of the other students have goldwork certificates from the Royal School of Needlework, so I value their shared information, too.

Our second (and last) session for this class is next Saturday, and Clara would like to see our work at that time, so I will be stitching mine this week. She also encourages students to use their imaginations when assembling their own pieces, so you may see that mine will have a few variations when I get to that point. I only took notes on Saturday, so I'll be busy getting caught up, and will share my progress as I work on it.


Handsome and I did some more canning this weekend, too. The result of our labor is twelve half pint jars of pizza sauce, and eight pint jars, plus one twelve ounce jar of salsa. This time we used Mrs. Wage's Pizza Sauce Mix, but only half of the 5 tablespoons of sugar it called for.  The salsa is also a Mrs. Wage's mix that we've used before and love.

One thing I'm doing differently since learning it from my aunt, is that I'm not blanching and skinning the tomatoes prior to processing them. After washing and removing the stem and core, she cuts them into quarters and chops them up with her stick blender. While I have one, I chose to use my Cuisinart™ food processor instead. Once everything is chopped up, the skins just about disappear in the mix, and as they cook, the chopped tomato skins don't rise to the top as larger pieces usually might. They're well and truly incorporated into the tomatoes, saving so much extra time and effort. They also add just a bit more texture to the cooked tomatoes, which Handsome and I think is a plus. We'll continue to do them this way.

This week, in addition to my needlework assignment, we're planning to make applesauce. I still have canned mushrooms and canned potatoes on my list, but that won't likely happen this week. I'll be needle dancing instead.

I hope you're planning something that makes you happy for the next few days. If you're in the mood to share, I'd love to know all about what you'll be doing. 

10 comments:

  1. That Koi is so pretty, can't wait to see yours.
    Love the look of all the canned goods!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Clara has such beautiful projects for us. I'm looking forward to this one, too. More goodies on the shelf is always a good thing, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your koi and how you finish it...I know it will be amazing, no matter what you do. Love seeing all the jars of goodness as I muster my ooomph to undertake zucchini relish production later this week.
    As for what I'm doing to make me happy - of course I'm starting yet another landscape. This time I plan to use denim for the entire thing. Whether it will be a success is rather up in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Handsome has a great idea for finishing it! Now I just need to execute it. Can't wait until it's done so I can show you what he came up with. Enjoy making your zucchini relish. I still have enough left from last year that we're good for another season. I'll have to pop over to your blog and see what your new project looks like. I love your landscapes!! Denim, you say? Wow!
      I'll follow along for sure. Good luck!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. All the goodness from the weekend, both the koi and the canning.
    Whatever you do with your koi with be wonderful.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      It was a productive weekend, to be sure. I'm going to concentrate on stitching this week, though. I can't wait to show you what Handsome came up with for an idea!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your Koi creation! Thanks for the pointers on the tomato processing. All your canned goods look so pretty lined up and glistening in the sun! At the end of harvest and canning season your pantry must look like a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I'm looking forward to a fun finish on this project. Handsome had a great idea. Now I'll just have to execute it. I'll share a photo of our pantry in a couple weeks so you can see how it looks.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: This Koi of Clara’s is stunning. I know yours will be even more so. Looking forward to your finishing ideas. So much healthy food in your pantry. You and Handsome make quite a special team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I get the benefit of seeing hers finished before starting mine, so I can see how I'd like to copy or change mine. Handsome has an idea that's truly inspired. Can't wait to share. Seeing our own food in the pantry makes me happy. I agree. We're a great team, my friend. I'd be lost without him.
      Happy new week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna