June 13, 2023

Tuesdays With Tag - A Note From Tag's Mom...

 
Before I even begin, please don't be alarmed. Tag is sitting at my feet and sassy as ever. 
 
This is Donna posting instead of Taggart today because I wanted to share a few things with you. I'm doing it on Tag's Tuesday because I knew you'd likely be here to see what he's been up to this week.

If you've visited in the past couple months, you know that my boy turned twelve this year. That's not real old for a small dog, but even so, my boy has been slowing down. Climbing the stairs is getting more difficult for him, and he has to be really motivated to come to the second level in the farmhouse anymore. 
 
I've noticed while Handsome was in Florida that Tag was listening to me less than he usually does, and in more recent weeks, I've determined that he's suffering significant hearing loss. He usually barks like crazy when the mailman drives up, and he knows because he can hear the van (it's kind of noisy). He'll run from the back to the front of the house, and bounce up to look out the windows in the dining room. Lately, he doesn't hear the van, so unless he's lying in the back entry and sees it, he doesn't make a peep.

When we're outside, I keep him on a lead because unless I whistle a high whistle, he doesn't flinch, turn or react to my voice at all. If he's off-leash, he watches me a lot. I'll use a hand signal for him to come to me, or use that whistle to get his attention. He's always startled when Bella barks, and I think that's another indicator, as he must not be hearing her infrequent, but still present, low growl. Also, if I walk into a room, it's the floor vibration he reacts to, not that he hears me entering. If he's sleeping, me walking into a room doesn't wake him up, and most times when in his kennel, he now faces the back of the crate to sleep. That's new for him, but these are all signs to me that he's suffered a significant hearing loss.
 
Even though we let the dogs out last thing at night, I'm also having to wash his bedding about every other morning now. I think that his weakened back end accounts for this as well as his hesitancy with stairs.
 
Please don't feel sorry for us...dogs live in the moment, never feeling sorry for themselves. We're watching over him to make sure he's okay and that he doesn't hurt himself, or be in a situation to be hurt because he either can't mobilize or hear to keep himself safe. It's always been our jobs to be his guardians, even though he'll always consider that his responsibility.
 
So, if you come to hear of Tag's latest big adventure, please don't be disappointed if he only tells you that he had fun smelling the flowers in the fields that week. At his age, he's the equivalent of a 74 year old little man. We'll treat him as the senior he is, and continue to do our best to give him a rich and comfortable life.
 
He'd be really upset with me if he knew I was telling you all of this, so I hope we can keep it between ourselves. Tag will be back next week. I just told him I'd cover for him so he could have a little vacation. He said, "As long as there's bacon, Mom, I'm good!" He is good. That's the most important thing I'd like you to take away from this. We're all good, and we thank you for coming by each week to read what he writes. It really is his voice, and if you lived with him, you'd surely know I'm telling the truth.
 
So, until next week, please think good thoughts, and please come back in seven to see what Tag has to say for himself. Thanks for listening. Love from Tag's Mom...
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that, but, you are giving him the best life he can have.
    He's a happy guy!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody needs to slow down and take time to "smell the roses", to really linger and fully experience the joy in them, each day. Maybe even roll around in them. If we don't treasure the loveliness each day, before we know it, the bloom is gone all too soon... But, oh, the treasured memories are so, so sweet! ❤ We FINALLY had rain yesterday, so,Tag, you know there's a whole lot to smell around here...and roll around in! I'm afraid your beautiful coat would become a hideous mess. But, the flowers are much happier for all this wetness. Hope you enjoy a leisurely stroll through the flowers today (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much love to you and Tag. Tag, you just enjoy every second. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tag is one of the very luckiest four-legged humans in the world to have you and Handsome taking care of him. Old age, unfortunately, comes to us all and it's to be hoped there will be caring someone's there to look after us as well as you're looking after him. Sending special skritches his way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a good person to be understanding of his needs as he ages. So much is available to help us with our senior pups now days. But the best thing is a good dose of love. Best to you both - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the update on Tag. I am so thankful that he has you and Handsome to care for him and do everything possible to make his days the best they can be. Sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry that it has come to this. I know you will take really good care of Tag. I will look forward to all of his future posts. And thank you for sharing. Sending prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I read the caption and saw the picture and my heart stopped. I thought I can't read this, then I saw the 'don't be alarmed' but it was too late for me.
    You and Handsome are the best guardians and I know he is in excellent hands.
    It is so hard when they get to be seniors. Our last cat of nine, she is still with us at 20, has lost her hearing and we do hand signals with her also.
    Taggart will always be in my prayers and I look forward to his escapades next week.
    Bacon is good.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry of createology: As always I am late to this post. My heart is heavy and yet I am so grateful for you and Handsome to be taking such good care of our boy Taggart. He has been my online buddy since the very first day. I have such a special love for Tag. I shall lift Prayers for every day to be smooth and blessed with happy times. Thank you Donna for this difficult post of reality. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna