June 12, 2023

Little Bird...

 
I started another goldwork class last Saturday with Clara at Clara Stitching. This one is called "Blue Tit Goldwork". The first (of three) session was to begin the basic setup and then do the stitching on the head. I've learned to take notes and watch the process rather than try to stitch along with Clara during the Zoom classes. That way I don't miss any of her steps.
 
 
So, yesterday I sat down late morning and began to make my own little bird. I began by tracing the design onto my ground fabric, followed by cutting out all of the padding pieces. I then stitched them down, filling with padding as called for.

Once that was done, I set about doing the goldwork on the head. I completed this after midnight, having only stopped for tea, potty breaks, and dinner. I just couldn't set it aside until it was finished, although I admit I almost packed it in a few times trying to thread my #12 sharp needle. I could barely see the eye on that darn needle - even with my lighted magnifier! Each time, I reminded myself to lightly wax the thread, take a deep breath - and miraculously the thread went into the eye so I could continue stitching.

Now, I'll work on something else as I wait for Session Two next Saturday. This one is going to be a fun project and a different finishing technique. I can't wait to share more!
 
PS. This blog title is a song from Don Quixote (Man from La Mancha). lol

10 comments:

  1. Sherry of createology: Little Bird will be so gorgeous. A Sweet Tweet! Enjoy your week dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sherry. I'm sure enjoying the process.
      Have a great week, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to watching this wee fellow (gal?) evolve. I haven't ventured into goldwork and not likely to because I don't need another obsession and the necessary stash when I'm trying my level best to downsize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I am, too! There are new techniques in this one, so I'm having fun learning something I didn't know before. (If you decide to try, let me know, I can send some supplies your way.) wink
      Hope you have a good week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Stunning! Looking forward to the progress.
    Have a great week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shirley!
      I'm anxious for our next session. More new techniques, so I'm stretching my skills. Fun stuff.
      I hope you have a great week, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. LOL! I don't know that song, but it did remind me of something from Fiddler on the Roof..Little Bird, Little Chavaleh...and yes, it is now stuck in my head, but, I do love that musical! Your little bird is already off to an amazing start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      lol. I almost directed my PS to you. hee hee. I don't know your song, but will certainly be looking it up now. Next Saturday will be another fun class, and then more progress on my piece. I'll share next Monday.
      Hope you have a fun week.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. This is gorgeous!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna