June 17, 2023

My Garden Update...

 
Everything is growing well as of today. In the bed in the foreground (from left to right): marigolds, one green pepper plant, basil (grown from seed), a whole row of green peppers, a row of roma tomatoes, and more marigolds. I'm going to plant a row of garlic between the tomatoes and peppers this week, too.
 
In the far raised bed I have more marigolds, bush beans (from seed), and Early Girl tomatoes. It's interesting that the romas already have little tomatoes setting on them, but not on the Early Girl plants. hmmm 

In the stock tank, I have marigolds on the ends, English daisies in the pots (I have to clean out the kitchen garden so I can plant them over there), peas, and radishes (both from seed). I'm going to run cord from the tall plant hanger down to the ground so the peas will have something to climb.

I need to get the weed eater into the enclosure to knock down the grass. I'm looking to find a mat material (like rugs) that our younger daughter-in-law placed in her garden to keep the weeds down and have a tidy surface for walking around my garden beds. Otherwise, I'm contemplating a base of plastic or cardboard, covered with pea gravel.
 
 
Next to the garage/storage building I have leaf lettuce, onions, and garlic growing in the raised stock waterer. I have more onions growing in bags further down the line, and the honeysuckle transplanted from the old front porch location is loving this spot where it can climb the short section of fencing. I need to tidy up around it this weekend. 
 
I have an old Radio Flyer wagon nestled under it, and Claudette loves sleeping in its shade. Now that it's blooming, the hummingbirds are likely to visit it, so I need to make it a little lot less convenient for her to "watch" them while they sip from the blossoms.

 
Last of all (for now) is the galvanized tank that was my dad's. I have chives gowing it it, but planted fennel today. I have to build a 2 x 4' base for this, I think, as the metal stand that I brought home with it is really rusting and falling apart. Alternatively, I may see if I can't locate an old stand lacking the basin. I'd really prefer that.

Well, that's my garden tour for now. Handsome actually would like to purchase another galvanized stock tank like the one inside my fenced area.We still have plenty of soil from our delivery, and I could use if for carrots and herbs this year. We just have to find another one like the one I have. Our local Fleet Farm is out of stock now. Perhaps another one of the stores close to us will have one? We'll see.

I have my second session with Clara today (@clarastitching), so I'm hoping to do a little more stitching on my goldwork bird this weekend. I'll update you on Monday. The weather is supposed to be nice all weekend, so I hope you have something fun planned for outdoors. We soak it in while we can!

8 comments:

  1. Your garden loos like it is doing well.
    That's a lot of work!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks, dear. I'm happy with the way it's coming along, and soon the plants will start showing more "fruit". So far, the work is minimal. I hoe up the weeds and keep the garden watered. Thankfully the cool weather at night is good for all the plants.
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Looks great! The tanks look like they would make gardening chores so much easier on your back. Will be interested in seeing how the garlic does over the summer. Resident Chef always planted his in the fall and then covered it well with leaves over the winter and it was ready to harvest the end of July or so. Always been curious to know what happens if it gets planted in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      The garlic went in as an experiment. I plan to plan lots into my raised bed for the winter and will also cover it with straw to insulate it. I'll keep you posted on how it goes for the spring planting. The raised bed is definitely a blessing! Hoping to have a second soon.
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Your garden is doing great and is looking so good.
    Those stock tanks are quite popular with the gardeners and for good reason.
    How about Tractor Supply for a tank, do you have one near you?
    I'm envisioning your pressure canner and pantry shelves.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      They became popular during "the covid", and more people are planting "victory gardens" now for self-sustenance. We have a Tractor Supply within an hour, and another Fleet Farm that may have one exactly like the one we already have. I'll find one in the next week or so. I really can't wait to break out the pressure canner for vegetables this year. I'm planning to can more meat and fruit soon. I'll keep you posted.
      Happy Weekend, dear!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Donna,your garden beds look great. I hope you have a bountiful harvest! -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry of createology: Donna your gardens are growing so well. You will have fresh foods to enjoy all year long. Fresh is so much better than store bought. Enjoy your weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna