June 19, 2023

Embroidery Progress...

 
Whew! This part was harder than it looked. I did the goldwork on the belly of my wee bird yesterday. The class was great, and really, Clara made this part look almost effortless. Have I got a lot more practice to perfect this technique!
 
One thing I learned is that it's easier to see the thread against the gold if I'm not in bright light. I found shading my work with my hand helped me find the previous threads so that I could create the brick pattern required when couching down the vintage Japanese gold and gilt twist threads. Apparently, my new magnifier "glasses" weren't much help in my quest for stitch perfection. I'm not sharing a closeup because it shows all my wonky "less than perfect" stitches. I'll just remind myself that this is my first attempt at that technique, and I'll get better with practice.

The next step is to create the feathers on the upper wing, which I'll begin this week. First, I have to go around the inside of the wing with a green purl, and then the feathers will be created using small flat sequins. This part is going to be fun!

I'll share more when I finish the wing. After that, I'll make the separate feet for my little bird. Then I'll be ready for the final class next Saturday! Tag will see you tomorrow, and I'll be back Wednesday. We'll see how much I can accomplish between now and then.

8 comments:

  1. Looks perfect to me!
    These birds are so awesome.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks so much, dear. I completed the bird stitching today. The nest and finishing instructions will be in our last Saturday session. Once it's complete, I'll love sharing it with everyone. Hope you have a great week, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. It's looking amazing Donna! I can't imagine doing all those teeny little stitches so kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      This project - especially the work on the belly - is a true exercise in patience. Especially threading the teeny tiny eye of a #10 Milliner's needle. gah!
      Happy Week, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Little Bird is looking so regal. Next he will have his wing. First of anything always is the hardest and gives us the most angst. I see no flaws dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherry:
      You're so kind, but yes, I didn't expect my first attempt at the technique on the belly to be perfect. I just hoped it would be. lol I completed my bird today, so I'm ready for our last Saturday session. I can't wait to share my completed project!
      Happy Week, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Quite amazing for a first attempt. Looks pretty perfect to me.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thanks so much, dear. My instructor, Clara says it looks good, too. I'll likely just practice that brick stitching technique on another project to perfect it - later. Lots of other things to accomplish this week first.
      I hope you have a lovely week.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna