June 16, 2023

Bella's Strawberry and "The Hoop"...


Bella's Strawberry Sachet is finished, so I can share it with you today. Lots of little flowers, and a special silver paw print near the tip. Of course, I have a silver acorn attached to the top, too. 

I chose a grey houndstooth wool for our black Labrador girl, and the tassle top is composed of thread colors used in the embroidery. I stuffed this one with organic cotton so it's nice and firm. It will join the other berries I've kept in a pretty, oval creamware bowl.

 
I worked on this piece last time I was with the Sewcial Sisters, and Kathy D. noticed my hoop. You will have seen it in photographs every time I share a small piece I'm working on. It belonged to my mother-in-law, Evelyn, and when I'm working on something special, I reach for this one first.

Kathy asked if it was a Queen hoop, and I said, "I don't know. What's a Queen hoop?". I turned it in hand and sure enough, it said "Queen" on the edge. I asked what might be special about it, and she showed me a listing for an oval one on Etsy or Ebay (I can't remember) that was listed for a whopping $700! We agreed that it was probably an astronomical asking price, but while there were other circular hoops listed, this was the only oval.

So, I took my embroidery off the hoop and showed her the features that make it different from our other hoops. Queen patented the metal wheel tightening mechanism in the 1940s, and there is an imbedded wool felt liner on the inside hoop that helps keep needlework taut. Because of the wheel mechanism, the outside hoop does not completely open and come apart.

My understanding is that they also manufactured metal hoops with the same tightening wheel, and if I look hard enough, I'll find the one that I also got with my mother-in-law's embroidery things.

I have to say that if Handsome's dear mother had seen that $700 listing, she would have laughed out loud. If you look on the lower right image above, you'll see that written in pencil on the inside of the felt-lined hoop is "25¢". I can hear her chuckle as I write this.

All I know is that this hoop is precious to me because of who previously owned it. It has the patina of age and use that was worn in by Evelyn's hands, and no amount of money - large or small - will make a difference to me. It's priceless in my eyes, and I'll continue to feel close to her every time I use it.

10 comments:

  1. Bella's strawberry sachet is another beauty from your clever hands. I enjoyed reading about the hoop and the history. Hard to believe it could be that valuable, but it's priceless in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear MA-
      Thank you for your kind words. I wish I could find more about the history of the hoop, but I'll keep looking to see if there's more to be learned. I'm glad you enjoyed learning about it as much as I did. You're right, though. I'll never consider selling it.
      Hard to believe it's the weekend (again) already!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sherry of createology: I have not known of a “Queen Hoop”. Your memories and usage of this hoop are “Priceless”. Bella’s Strawberry Sachet is beautiful. Stitching Bliss Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I learned there's one called a Princess hoop, too! I never knew. Thank you dear. I always appreciate your kind words. Happy Weekend, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Another beautiful creation.
    The memories alone with this hoop are priceless and for you to have it and use it even more so.
    I'm familiar with the Queen and Duchess hoops, and in the stitching
    community they are definitely worth at least an arm and a leg.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      You're so right. I'll not part with it. I'm sure you know more than I on the subject of these hoops. I had no idea until Kathy D. told me about them! Thanks for sharing their worth with me. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I have a Queen hoop that I got on ebay with a bunch of other embroidery stuff. I have looked for more of them and never have found any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Carmen:
      I saw small ones on Etsy when I was searching for more information. They're not too expensive either (on the main), so many sellers must not know their worth. You may want to do another search there if you're looking for more.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Bella's Strawberry is so pretty,
    Your hoop is a treasure, for sure.
    I am always on the hunt for a Queen or Duchess hoop, but none to be found.
    They are supposed to be the best.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree that the Queen hoop is the best. I've seen some marked "Princess", too (online). It would be a great find if sorting through auction or flea market bins, wouldn't it? Thanks so much for leaving your comment, dear. I always appreciate hearing from you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna