June 8, 2023

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This...

 

I spent the majority of the day baking bread yesterday. I made five loaves counting this one. I buttered my bread pans so the dough wouldn't stick, and every loaf came out of the oven with lovely tops and burned bottoms.

I can take my plane grater and remove the black and the loaves will still be edible, but I surely won't share any of them this time. (I'll likely have another bake day for a couple loaves to send up the hill.) Even this loaf that I baked separately in my Dutch oven came out a little darker on the bottom, and I really didn't do anything different from what I usually do - including the temps I've set since I started baking bread. I guess it was just one of those days.

So, today, I'm not going to bake. I have lots of things to do upstairs in the studio after I check on my garden. It's beautiful outside, so I really would prefer to do something to do outdoors, but I'm going to behave and make believe it's raining so I don't get distracted.

In the meantime, before my next baking day, I'm going to do a little reading, too, to see what I can do to avoid black bottoms. (A note to some of my valued problem solvers: They were only in the oven 45 minutes, for regular sized loaves. If I take them out much sooner, they won't be baked properly.)

So, that was my day yesterday. How was yours?

11 comments:

  1. Perhaps get an oven thermometer and check that the temp is correct? Sometimes elements will turn 'hot' before they burn out. I'm no expert, but might be a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      That's a great idea. It's a gas oven, but a valid thought. It may be running hotter than it's set.
      Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sherry of createology: I have never made or baked bread so I am no help at all. I’m certain it still tastes good. I have spent the last three days getting up extra early, driving to the next city, and volunteering helping young kids make Art in the Park. The kids are all so sweet, polite and well behaved. First, second grades day one, third and fourth grades day two and then today was fourth ad fifth graders. I had ain’t all over my hands but it was all such fun and the kids were extremely creative. Of course I was worn out after only four hours each morning! I forget I am almost 75!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Even though neither of us are spring chickens anymore, I do enjoy working with kids and teaching them. I bet you were "good tired" after working with them. Such a great way to spend time. I hope you have a restful weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I'm no help with the burned bottoms, I do my bread in the bread machine.
    My loaves certainly don't look as fabulous as yours, black bottom or not.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Before we moved back to Wisconsin, Handsome made all our bread in a bread machine. Now it only gets used for pizza dough, and he's still in charge of that. Thanks for your encouragement, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. It still look delicious.
    We had a problem with our oven recently.
    It was taking over an hour to heat up, even at a low temp.
    Luckily it's still under warranty, it's only 4 years old.
    Turns out it was the igniter that caused the problem.
    But, the fan also needs replacing, as it doesn't work for convection.
    They don't make things like they used to!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree. It seems they build failure into them. It's so disheartening. Glad yours was still under warranty, so you didn't need to pay for the repairs. That's not cheap either! I'll figure it out. Perhaps I need to get back to two or three loaves at a time, rather than four?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I'm no help with the bread baking either, but, I'm pretty sure I still would have plunged into that lovely "burnt bottomed" loaf hot out of the oven with a stick butter (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And... ya just gotta stop with the song titles...they totally get stuck in my head. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lois:
      I'm giggling from your PS. lol We actually did immediately cut into one (which we don't usually do), "just to make sure they were edible". wink
      Hope you have a great week, hon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna