May 4, 2020

An Outdoor Weekend...

Brynwood Needleworks - English Daisies
 
It was a gorgeous weekend...perfect for spending time outdoors in the garden. Handsome and I weeded out the area along the fence line (across the driveway, near the old apple tree), and I discovered all the lilies, tulips, irises, daffodils, and bleeding hearts already peeking up out of the dried leaves from last fall. There will soon be a riot of color over there!

I'm adding beautiful English daisies to the kitchen garden this year. Aren't they sweet? Remember, I did an Elizabeth Bradley "English Daisies" Berlinwork piece years ago? I really must frame it or make it into a cushion. It's still wrapped in acid-free paper because I can't make up my mind! (This is the post about it, HERE)

Brynwood Needleworks - Creeping Phlox

Creeping phlox, hostas, chives, mint, Shasta daisies, hollyhocks, tulips, lavender, and delphiniums are already up and getting bigger by the day. 

Hollyhocks have self-planted a new row in front of the ones I planted two years ago, so I'll end up with two rows of the tall beauties this year!
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Baltimore Oriole (m)

The Baltimore orioles are back now! The first one appeared at our feeders yesterday. I had grape jelly waiting for them, but after I saw them, I put out oranges for them, too. The hummingbird feeders are already out, too, but we haven't seen any yet. I expect they'll be along any day now, along with the indigo buntings.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Goldfinches (2 m/1 f)

Soon after, the goldfinches stopped by. They flew to this perennial mum and were eating the seed heads. (That's why I wait to remove them until spring each year.) I've put out nyjer thistle seeds for them now, too.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Lavender
 
I bought more lavender yesterday from the greenhouse. The plants were 2/$7.00, so I bought four new plants to put on the south side of the new porch. That garden bed is already blooming with sedum and Jacob's ladders, and I'll be adding plants all summer to really fill the area in. These lavender plants will be the start.
 
I also purchased four tomato plants, which will be planted in the kitchen garden area. Mint, chives, lavender, rosemary, and basil will also be in the same garden. From what I can tell, only one hosta plant survived the porch project, so I'll move that this summer, and add more across the expanded bed. 
 
I weeded as long as my body would put up with it on Saturday and Sunday. My hands, knees and back were aching by the time Saturday came to a close. We worked outside all day, and it was worth every discomfort. It's so nice to be hanging out in the yard again, enjoying the warmer weather. I may even do it again for a while today! Then, it's back to working on Wooly Critters!

May The 4th Be With You!!
(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Those little Daisies are so cute!
    We had an Oriole yesterday also, but no Hummies yet.
    Sounds like you have some nice flowers coming in.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marilyn:
    I love the English Daisies. In fact, I'll probably get back over there in a day or so to buy more. They stay around 5" tall, and should be planted about 8" apart, so I can get more to fill in the border on the flower bed.
    No hummers here, yet, either. I'll keep watching for them!
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna