May 7, 2020

Precious Moments...

Brynwood Needleworks - My Father - This Smile Was Just For Me

This is my dad. He's 87 years old, and very ill. The kind of ill from which there's no escape. He's holding his own right now, and there are things that are precious to him. Time with his family and friends, his German shepherd Titus, and enjoying each moment to its fullest.

I've seen him for short visits twice in the past month. I managed to catch up with him at the clinic where he was taking treatments, which he then quit because they were making him ill. He knows they won't prolong his time, so he decided that he'd rather spend his time feeling good than bad. All of his children support his decision. We want what's best for him.

Some day I'll tell you a longer story about him (and me, his firstborn), but for now I just want to share my day with you. He lives about an hour and a half from me, so I planned my trip, and made all those goodies yesterday with him in mind.

Brynwood Needleworks - Posing With My Dad

I'd made caramel corn for him the first time I met up with him outside the clinic, and it was a huge hit. I mean, he said he wouldn't share with my younger sister (who has become his at-home caretaker), and it became quite a joke between them. When that bag was empty, I made more and sent it to him.

So this latest batch was doubled, and packed into two bags. I'm sure I'll hear whether or not he shares any of this! I also made the syrup and banana bread with him in mind. Some went to him, and the rest is shared closer to home.

Look at that smile. I think he loves that popcorn treat as much as he tells me he loves me. I have to smile myself, knowing that something so simple makes him this happy.

We spent the entire afternoon going through old photos. As his eldest, there are people in the old photos I well remember, and we could sit and reminisce...something else he dearly loves these days. I reminded him of some of my old memories, knowing they'd spark his. We laughed a lot, which was great, because I promised myself that I wouldn't make him sad by crying in front of him. He was always strong for me, and it's my turn to return that gift to him.

I know we'll have more visits. I know we'll both look forward to them. I know, for sure, that these are sweet and precious moments for both of us, and I'm beyond grateful that I've been given the gift of every phone call, FaceTime exchange, and in-person visit. Precious moments, indeed.

 Keep Calm and Carry On.

DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. So glad you are getting this time with you Dad Deece.
    Love to you my friend. Shelby Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made his day!
    Look at that smile.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I love this precious picture of you and your Dad. I'm glad that you are near to him and can spend time together. God Bless you both.
    xoxo
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy this precious time as often as possible. You will never regret the time spent with your dad even if it means time away from other special things. Looks like special memories are being are being created! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy every precious moment!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna