May 13, 2020

Dad's Birds...

Brynwood Needleworks - Dad's Birds
 
My love of the outdoors was forged at an early age, spending time with my Dad. He always loved to hunt, and provided many meals for his small family when times were lean. As I grew up, I learned about how to forage, what was safe and what was not, and more about the natural world in southeastern Wisconsin from him.

Dad retired as an educator in the school system about ten miles from where Handsome and I now live, and when I was a pre-teen, he taught outdoor summer science courses. My best friend, Cyd and I took those classes for a few summers. They were glorious days in my memory, as we trudged through marshlands, up glacial formations, and into woodlands behind him and the other instructors in the group. We learned about native wildlife and birds, and their habitats.

Years later, Dad's influence on Cyd inspired her college studies into outdoor education, where she eventually led groups of college students into Puerto Rican rain forests, and sailing forays to faraway places. His influence on me, led me to teaching other young people and adults about the outdoors, as well, and then becoming a representative in a state legislated organization to help protect Wisconsin's natural resources and hunting/fishing/outdoor heritage. He's had a profound influence on both our lives.

Dad doesn't get outdoors much these days. He has trouble walking more than short distances, so my sister set up a bird feeding station outside his bedroom window. From there he can see birds, squirrels and other critters who come to visit.

Yesterday, I sat with him as we talked about family memories and ancestors. As we spoke, we also watched the feeders together...something we both enjoy. We chuckled watching the red squirrel doing gymnastics as it worked its way to the bird feeder, and Dad pointed out the cardinals, blue jay and finches. Then, he said, "Look, Donnie! (his nickname for me) There's a red-breasted grosbeak!" I'd never seen one outside a birding book or in pieces of wildlife art. We sat together, watching as it took seed from the suet my sister had put out. Such a beautiful bird, and a gift the two of us could share.

I told Dad about the indigo buntings that will soon come to our feeders, along with the current lineup of birds that visit every year - including the bluebirds that have, again, returned to the farmhouse. I told him that, even though I've had feeders out, the hummingbirds had yet to appear.

Before I headed home, Handsome sent a text to me. It read like a Western Union telegram, 
"Breaking news!! St. Cloud, 3:15 pm. Hummingbird on feeder. That is all. --------------------30---------------------"

The perfect message to come on the day I visited Dad this week. We finished our visit at about 4:30. I could see Dad was getting tired. I gave him a kiss and told him I see him again soon. I smiled all the way home. It was a perfectly wonderful day.

DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. Happy that you had a good visit with your Dad.
    We have many Orioles now, & 2 Hummies that come often, a small dark one & a bigger green one.
    Yesterday A Bluebird also appeared!
    So much fun watching them all.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely visit. You are so furtunate to still have your dad, and to be able to spend time together. Yay - a Hummingbird!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up on the farm we often had grosbeaks at the feeder but I haven't seen one since then. Lucky you to have such a close up view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post Donna, your father has really been a blessing in your life. He reminds me much of my father, we learned so much from him when it came to nature; he gave us a love for the environment and all God's creatures. You brought back many memories. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very fortunate for you and your Dad to reconnect and be able to enjoy the precious gift of time together. Watching birds and squirrels and other small critters is such a JOYous venture. Seeing Mother Nature in her glory is beautiful. Time with family...Priceless. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sherry, Laurie, "Magpie", Sunny and Marilyn:
    I'm so happy that you have lovely birds (and shared memories) to brighten your day. I'm grateful that you left comments that helped me smile during these difficult visits with my Dad. I'm so blessed that we still have some time together. Even at 87, the cancer will take him from us before we're ready. These afternoons I spend with him are precious, indeed.
    Thank you again for your comments.
    Gratefully,
    Donna
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna