May 14, 2020

Red Bird To The Rescue...

Brynwood Needleworks - Red Birds

I hadn't planned to show any photographs of my unfinished quilt until the top was done, but I thought you might appreciate a "let's keep it real" post.

I decided that I needed to add some more needlework detail to the green leaves in the block shown above. It's the block that has the sheep and red bird with a basket. This is the post that shows the whole "finished" block (HERE). I thought the leaves were just too simple, so I added bouillon knots in opposite colored threads, down the centers of each leaf.

Brynwood Needleworks - The Unfortunate Discovery
 
Imagine my dismay when I saw that there was a hole in the sashing above the sheepy block! It isn't a cut, and I guess this is what happens when you set a project aside for too long. I don't know how it happened, I just know it was there. Now, what to do?
 
Look back at the first photograph to find my solution. I decided that another red bird would be a perfect coverup for the damage. So, as soon as I completed the leaves, I pulled more red wool and made another little bird. 
 
Of course, doing the hand embroidery which is now in the middle of a large-ish quilt isn't exactly convenient, but I'm making it work. I'll complete that today, along with the other applique' work I've yet to do, and then I'll share the finish.
 
I just wanted you to see that, if we get creative, we can always come up with an elegant fix for a problem. I think this one is actually going to be a happy addition to my quilt!

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Such a pretty block.
    Great fix for the hole.
    Cant have too many red birds!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect way to cover the whole! I love your work Donna, always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to cover the hole. Fits right in. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect solution to set a red bird over the hole. Looks lovely dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna