February 1, 2020

One Last Birthday Gift...

Brynwood Needleworks - Fox Buttons To Pins

When I was shopping for buttons for the little girls' dresses, I found these. Considering that there were little foxes running through the print I used for the pinafore fabrics, these couldn't have been more perfect. I immediately knew what I'd do with these.

Brynwood Needleworks - Fox Buttons To Pins

I got back into the studio and grabbed one of the tools in my toolbox to cut the button shanks off the backs. I made sure there were no high spots where I wanted to put the pin findings, and then grabbed my tiny pin backs and glue.

I glued the pin backs...and then waited to be sure the glue was completely dry. I pinned them onto the pinafores of each of the dresses.

I also embroidered the girls names (and year) onto a queen-size pillow cover, cut a hole in the opposite end from the zipper, and then finished the cut opening with pink ribbon as a folded binding. That created a perfect child-size garment bag for the dresses.

I had a great time at the party, and when it was time to open the gift from us (Handsome and me), the little girls sat on chairs, watching their mommy open up the garment bag. Everyone was quiet, and when the dresses were revealed, the girls' eyes widened. They even noticed the little pins!

Their parents thanked me, and later, my sister and others looked at the dresses and told me they thought they were beautiful. I asked their mom to let me know when we might get together next week so I could take pictures of the twins, wearing their new dresses. She liked the idea, and we agreed to get together again soon.

It's so much fun to watch the world through the eyes of children, and last night was especially fun for me. I sat on the staircase as they opened myriad wrapped gifts, revealing one treasure after another. Four is a magical time, and each of the girls squealed in delight, and always thanked each person for the gifts they received. I felt so blessed when they both came running up the stairs to hug me for the dresses that had love sewn into every stitch. Those hugs and kisses were the best thanks of all.


It's hard to believe we already have one month of 2020 behind us. Where does the time go? 

Next week, I'm turning my attention to a custom order that came my way. A long-distance friend mailed her daughter's well-worn jean jacket to me with the request to turn it into a handbag. I've got some contemplating and drafting ideas ahead of me, so I'm going to kick out of gear for the rest of this weekend. That way I can approach this with a fresh and rejuvenated mind. I'm looking forward to this one!

Happy February!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Your dresses and Fox pins and garment bags are fabulous and how sweet of the girls to Thank You with words and hugs. I look forward to seeing the girls wearing their beautiful dresses. Restful weekend dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna