February 10, 2020

On My Design Table This Week...

Brynwood Needleworks - Jacket Upon Arrival - Front

I received this well-worn, favorite jacket, with the request to create a handbag from it. There are frayed edges on the cuffs, collar and hand pocket edges, but the rest is in pretty good condition.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Jacket Upon Arrival - Back
 
I also received a Harley-Davidson patch that she'd like sewn onto the bag, and I'm planning to use the lining from the jacket, too. I was asked to incorporate at least one of the breast pockets, if possible. I'll definitely do that for her.
 
Today, I'm going to lay it out, take measurements, and then take it apart. I'm going to offer my client drawings and options for styles I have in mind, and then I'll begin the process of collaboration to achieve my vision.

I'm planning to share the whole process with you, as I move from start to completion. I hope you'll follow along and share your ideas and feedback.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. I know - two comments in a week - what's this world coming to? Anyway....just had to say I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I used to do a lot (!) of work with recycled denim and made over 30 jackets in a crazy quilt style. That lasted until my hands got a visitation from 'Arthur' who has managed to take up permanent residence. If you're at all interested, check out the 'recycled denim' label on my blog (https://magpiesmumblings.blogspot.com). Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some of that frayed stuff needs to remain. It is memory of a well worn jacket. Perhaps trim around the pocket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a Labor of Love and your finished piece will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna