January 22, 2020

"Tribute To Betsy" Quilt - Complete...

Brynwood Needleworks - "Tribute To Betsy" Quilt Detail

My current quilt project is machine quilted, bound, and complete! I shared photos with the Brynwood Needleworks FaceBook page today and was asked about the flags, and whether or not they were actual little flags sewn into the quilt.

If you look closely, you can see that they've all been pieced. There is a block of stars, joined to a short stripe strip, and then joined to a longer stripe strip. You can see in the flag in the bottom of this picture, they aren't all matching and perfectly pieced. They definitely weren't little flags. They were pieced.

I wanted to keep the quilting as simple as possible, to follow the lead of the simplicity of the finished quilt. Straight lines all around.

Brynwood Needleworks - Completed "Tribute To Betsy" Quilt
 
So, here is my finished "Tribute to Betsy". I've even sewn a little symbolism into the borders. There are nine parallel lines that march around the outside of the quilt. The nine lines represent the nine letter in our last name. 
 
I've got my Brynwood label on the back, but I'll also add another label with the quilt name, my name, date and location where the quilt was created. I'll do that today, handstitching it onto the back when I've printed it out.
 
I also worked on another project yesterday, so you can expect to see that tomorrow. Hint: I'm already working on the next holiday! 

So, I have a question for you. Do you add symbolic touches to your work? If so, does it depend on the piece, or is your secret touch consistent on everything? I'd love to know.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Tribute to Betsy is perfect with your personal touches and sewing expertise and symbolism. I do try to add special touches to my projects but no general go to standard. Your quilt will look amazing on your new porch come sunnier weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a rail fence wall hanging for a friend who is a big Ohio State fan. I machine quilted it in a meandering pattern and quilted in MSU for Michigan State University. Of course I never mention that to her and her husband. He would have loved it and have had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt, it's so beautiful!
    Congrats on your finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was designing needlework, I almost always added little touches. To a Peony needleroll, I added ants. To a beargrass needleroll, I put Ursa Minor in beads on the sides of the roll. I designed a Proposal Pillow and almost every flower on all 3 layers of petals was symbolic. I always enjoyed adding these little extra touches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna