January 4, 2020

Photographing "The Habitat"...

Brynwood Needleworks - "The Habitat"
 
One of my commitments in 2020 is to spend time outdoors - no matter the season or weather. I'm out nearly every day to take birdseed and cut-up fruit to this spot on our property. This is also where I have set up my trail cam. (The trail cam is back at Browning for repair or replacement, by the way. The night vision wasn't functioning properly.) I've already seen some interesting shots before the infrared feature gave out. 

The area I refer to as The Habitat is on the left side of this image. Last summer and fall, when we lost some large branches and parts of the old lilac bush, we hauled the brush out to this spot. Later in the fall, we let our grass grow longer, rather than mow the late season clover, Queen Ann's Lace, and other wildflowers that were providing a nectar source for the bees and butterflies. That grass got really long, so when we mowed it, I took about ten trailer loads of grass to this same area and tossed all of it over the brush. A few rainfalls, and the grass clippings were well incorporated into the habitat I was trying to create.
Brynwood Needleworks - Opossum Footprints

I must have done a pretty good job, because the critters really like this area. These are opossum prints. Aren't they cute? The remind me of little starbursts. They were actually all around the entire area as our snow is melting yet again.

Brynwood Needleworks - Critter Shelter

This is one of the shelter areas that was created by my late fall efforts. As you can see, there's even a back entry/exit. It's high and dry, so it's perfect for keeping a variety of critters warm and out of the elements, should they want to take advantage of it. Of course, more snow equals more insulation. 

I like taking a peek into how the wildlife lives around the farm. Sadly, the solitary squirrel that's been living in our large maple tree was killed by a local hawk. We saw the hawk in the snow out in the neighbor's field to the east of us, so I used my new binoculars (a Christmas gift from Handsome), and identified his prey. I was sad, but hawks need to eat, too.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Artwork by Jenny Kun

One more thing before I go today. I was snooping around on Etsy yesterday and found THIS wonderful site. Jenny Kun's artwork is so sweet! She creates art for her shop, TheCrownPrints, and all of her designs are downloadable! 

Of course, I purchased her opossum print, and plan to download and frame the print for the farmhouse. Like the bluebirds who return every spring, I hope the opossums will also choose to hang around here. I think they're both beneficial and adorable. Her print captures their charming personalities perfectly.

Have a great weekend! I'll be busy doing laundry, and other mundane household chores, but I'll also be sure to get the dogs outside to enjoy all our little farm has to offer. I'll even work a little bit in the studio. (I'm setting up new projects to work on, too.) I'll be back with a Sunday Scripture tomorrow, and will see you again on Monday.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. How very Blessed your little critters are to have YOU and how well you care for them. This sanctuary is wonderful. Such a sweet little opossum print. Satisfaction Saturday Dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna