August 28, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Day Thirteen...

Brynwood Needleworks - First Completed Pillar!
 
As Day Thirteen closed, we were able to see one completed pillar on the porch project. The post(s) will be wrapped in white before they're through, but this pillar is done.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Pillars Awaiting Stone

The block was laid for the rest of the pillars, and the caps were also placed. The guys will continue to wrap these in stone now, too.

(My labrador statue watches over the workers. I got this when my Bannor was still alive, and I painted it to match his coloring. It's fading out now, even when always kept under cover, so I'm going to have to give it a facelift soon.)

Brynwood Needleworks - Tomato Haul

While the masons were working outside (and Handsome and Bella are packing to leave today), I was indoors, canning. I still had leftover strawberries, so I turned those into jam. I also scored some beautiful tomatoes on Monday from a local farmer.

These two crates hold well over a bushel, but I weigh them as I use them, so I won't know total weight until I'm finished. All of these cost me $25.00, and he even offered for me to use the crates to get them home. I thanked him and said I'd get them back to him over the weekend. I love small towns. He trusts he'll get them back, and I won't let him down.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - All These Left To Process

These are the red goodness I'll be processing over the next day or so. I'm going to turn most of these into stewed tomatoes. That way they can be added to chili this winter, or many other uses with the addition of other vegetables or spices.

Brynwood Needleworks - Strawberry Jam and Spaghetti Sauce

Along with the finished strawberry jam, I turned twelve pounds of tomatoes into spaghetti sauce. I didn't use any fancy recipe...just two packages of Mrs. Wages Pasta Sauce mix. I actually ended up with four and a half quarts, but the partial became a spaghetti side dish with dinner last night. The mix is really tasty, so I may get more for some of the tomatoes that are left. We'll see.

Brynwood Needleworks - My Versions of Primitive Gatherings' Fifty Two Mini Ways - Box 4
 
In case you're wondering whether or not I've touched needle to fabric lately, the answer is "yes". These are my versions of the "Fifty Two Mini Ways" from Primitive Gatherings' Wool Box 4. I made an oak leaf, instead of the maple leaf design in the pattern. I also changed out a little house block for our compass barn (on the easel). 
 
I have one more block to do in this set. Lisa likes a little block with words, but I'm going to stitch something different. I'll share when it's done.

Handsome and I are finishing our morning coffee, and then he and Bella will be leaving for the first leg of their trip to San Antonio. Tag and I are staying behind to supervise the last of the porch project, and when my travelers come home, it will likely be finished.

I'll be doing some more tomato canning, and then sit down to stitch tonight after a light dinner. I've already got a new project from the Wool Box prepped and waiting for needle and thread, so I'll let you see that soon. 

For now, I'll kiss my husband farewell, pat Bella on the head (and tell her to make babies, like a good girl. wink), and pray for their safe travels. They'll likely be gone about ten days, so Tag and I will hold down the fort until they return. I'd better go for now, but I'll be back tomorrow. I hope you have a great day!

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely astounded by your new porch & the speed that the professional crew have created..WOW. Your canning is also very impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna