August 26, 2019

Sunday Funday...

Brynwood Needleworks - Sunday Canning
 
When I got up on Sunday morning, I knew that canning was on my agenda for the day. I got out my hardware, and Handsome helped me when I got to the "jarring" step. By the end of the day, I'd canned ten pints of Zucchini Pepper Relish (from one zucchini from Shelly!); one quart, plus 10 ounces of tomatoes (also from Shelly's garden); and six quarts of late season Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Filling.

Brynwood Needleworks - Zucchini Pepper Relish In The Works

The first thing I did was shred the zucchini in my Cuisinart™ food processor, and then hand chop the peppers and onions. They went into my pot, along with the requisite amount of apple cider vinegar, and cooked down for about a half hour.

After straining off the apple cider vinegar used to cook down the mixture, I added mustard and celery seed, sugar, and more apple cider vinegar. After the entire mixture came back to a boil, I put it up in pint sized jars and gave it a fifteen minute water bath. While everything was processing, I cleaned up for Round 2.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Beautiful Tomatoes and Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Filling

I did the batch of tomatoes next. These beauties came from Shelly's garden and filled a nice-sized bowl. I thought I'd get two quarts, but came up short, so I put the balance into a ten ounce jar which worked just fine. I put the two jars into the water bath canner and set about preparing the pie filling.

Round Three began when I went out into the garden with Handsome and the pups, and pulled rhubarb. Handsome took the stalks from me and cut off the leaves. After we picked what we needed, we headed back to the house.

I cleaned and peeled the rhubarb, and then washed, cored, and sliced the strawberries. In my clean pot, I mixed ClearJel™ and sugar, added water, and brought the thick mixture to a boil. Once it boiled, I added lemon juice and mixed it well. I had to bring it back to a boil, and then I took it off the heat, and added the fruit.

All the jars were sterilized in my canner. (I have the awesome Ball™Electric Water Bath Canner that I bought on sale last season. I bought it HERE, but Amazon and other companies carry it, too.) I lined up all my jars, filled them, wiped the rims, added the lids and rings, and took them to the canner.

They processed perfectly (tomatoes, too), but, because my apple pie filling siphoned, I took some advice from a fellow canner, and left them in the water bath to cool down. I turned it off and just waited about twenty minutes. They came out without a single jar sputtering and siphoning!

When I took this photograph, the jars were still too hot to clean and label, so I'll do that today. I just let them sit, undisturbed, overnight. They'll be fine to label after coffee.

I still have six quarts of strawberries I bought on sale, so I'll turn those into jam later today. It will be nice to have them available for holiday gift giving, as we certainly don't eat everything I process!

Tag will be here tomorrow with some great news! He's looking forward to sharing it with you, so I won't spoil his surprise. You'll just have to grab your morning coffee or tea, and stop by to find out what he wants to crow about now. I'll be back on Wednesday with more porch photos for you. See you then!
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Dear Donna,
    At our last house in Ft. Worth I tried to grow rhubarb I don't know how many times. I haven't tried to grow it here though. We are only about ten miles away from the other house but maybe it is worth a try. Maybe the soil is a bit different. Your's looks so good and you have to pay highway robbery to buy it. Two years ago I had to pay $9.99 a pound for it. Maybe next year I will try again. Your jars look like jewels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna