August 31, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Day 16...

Brynwood Needleworks - New Sidewalk and Entry. Footing for Porch Staircase
 
We roll into the Labor Day Weekend with a real sense of accomplishment here at the farmhouse. Yesterday, Tom and his crew formed and poured our new back entry (replacing a broken slab), and a walkway the invites guests to the porch entry. We also have the bottom step for our new porch staircase.
 
Tag and I played acrobats after the guys left us a ramp to use until the concrete dries. By the time I finish my coffee today, we'll be able to walk on the new walkway, but we're going to wait until Tom comes to cut in the expansion joints. He can pull the planks and give us the official okay.
 
I'm pretty excited with this new layout. First, my kitchen garden area is much larger. I'll be planning a new kitchen garden for next year, and will move, as appropriate, the plants that will look better if I place them closer to the walk (think hostas).
 
As I look at this photograph, I see the old stucco behind my hollyhocks. We're going to have that replaced all the way around the house, either late fall or next spring. We'll know more after this project is done.
 
Tom moved the large stones bouldes off the lawn, as I said I'd be mowing the lawn after they left for the day. Once I saw the stones up near the house a light bulb went on. I think those rocks are going to stay up in this general vicinity. Once Tom adds dirt to the garden area and more black dirt to the lower area where those rocks are, we'll have him place the rocks a bit more to the left and closer together.

Brynwood Nedleworks - Detail of Primitive Gatherings' Wool Box 4 Table Mat
 
While the guys were working outside, I was working inside. Needle dancing, actually. This is just a sneak peek of what I was making. I'll share the finished piece on Monday. I still have a little stitching to do, but it was nice just sitting with my needlework on my lap. I think it was a great way to work myself into the weekend.

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what progress has been made! I like your new walkway to your porch entrance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna