August 15, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Porch Project - Day Five...

Brynwood Needleworks - Adding Stones To One of The Lilac Beds

While the masons were throwing block, Handsome and I were moving stones from the spoil removed from the building site. There were stones here already, but many had sunk into the ground, so at least one more level was in order.

I love that these stones came out of the ground under the old porch. The last time they saw light was likely one hundred years ago (or more, if you consider when the house building began). I will say they were dang heavy. Most could only be moved from the spoil pile by our tractor to the area where they'd be placed, and then lifted out of the tractor bucket into their resting spot.

The stone barrier we built is virtually finished now, too. It's not tall, but it really looks nice down in the front yard. We have two large rocks that the guys will have to move with the skid steer, so until that's done, I won't be able to put any plantings near it. I'm thinking purple coneflowers, salvia, Queen Anne's lace and chickory will be planted on the house side of the wall, and I'm looking forward to doing that soon.

Brynwood Needleworks - Laying Block For The New Porch

Day Five began with more mortar being mixed, block being staged, and then continued building of the foundation that will support the porch. This side will become the main entrance, so we discussed how the staircase will be placed and treated. (It's going to be beautiful.)

Brynwood Needleworks - Six Courses Done...Three To Go - South Side

By the end of the day, six courses were completed on the southern side, with three more to go. You can see the additional block on the front edge of the wall where the staircase will be built.

Brynwood Needleworks - East Side Of Porch - Seven Courses Done

The east side of the porch has a little more progress. There are six courses completed, and some of the backfilling has been done against the new wall.
 
The guys will be back tomorrow, and who knows how much they'll accomplish? They're the best in the business (that's why we've called on them again, having done two other major projects for us in the past), and we have complete confidence in them. 
 
One thing I know is that I'll probably be in the studio tomorrow. My back has recorded every single stone I lifted. I've been given notice to take the day off so I don't injure myself. I've been careful, so I'm doing fine so far, but I can feel muscles I haven't used in a while. Believe me, it's a mixed blessing, and in the end, our project is going to be a wonderful look for the grand, old lady, and the grounds on which she stands. 
 
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Great progress!
    This is going to be beautiful!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow to see all this progress and such fine workmanship. Hubby and I know rocks and how heavy they are because we built 300 feet of engineered dry stack wall using huge boulders we purchased from a local quarry when we were in Northern California. I loved that wall! Your porch will be so fine for Hickory Hill Farmhouse. Resting your back is a very good thing dear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna