August 7, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Porch Project - And So, It Begins...

Brynwood Needleworks - Hickory Hill Farmhouse
 
This grand old lady turned 101 years old this year. Her porch is showing its age, so she's going to get a lovely new facelift. As in the year she was built, she's still planted in a field of clover. Once all this is finished, we'll be overseeding with new grass and clover seed.
Part of our crew dropped by yesterday to leave the supplies they'll need to shore up the roof over the current porch, while they demo and rebuild a new porch. Handsome's dad used to say, "And now the cat the hair off." I'm not sure exactly how to explain what it means, but feel it's appropriate to use in this instance. It's like, "Well, now the fun starts." (sometimes said in a facetious manner).
Our small yard tractor is out front because I was moving some of the plants away from the demo area. I was able to relocate a beautiful, old honeysuckle vine, and hope it settles in and thrives in its new spot. I tried to move some of the flowering bushes, but that didn't work, and we're definitely losing the evergreens across the front. I was told by a landscaper that old, established evergreen bushes never live after transplant. (insert sad face)
I just hope the builders will be gentle when they get around to the north side, where the hydrangeas are located. They've been there a long time and are quite happy up until now. I'd hate to lose those.
Handsome and I removed everything we had on the porch, and I relocated the hummingbird feeders so they're next to the big lilac bush across the yard. The little birds are already happily chirping and slurping at their new feeding station. One less thing to worry about. Likewise for the few orioles that are still hanging around their feeder. I'm not refilling it everyday now, so I suspect they'll be on their way soon.
I'm going to have a quick cup of coffee, and then I'll be ready to begin photographing the start of this process. It's pretty exciting, and I don't want to miss a thing. (Gosh, I hope nothing is living under the porch and/or bushes right now. They'll be in for a real surprise, but we'll make sure they're unharmed.)

Come back tomorrow. I have a feeling things are quickly going to look different around the place!

PS. You can tell I was quite concerned about Handsome yesterday, as Tag never got his post up for the week. Good news is that Handsome is going to be fine. We feared a total knee replacement, but after an MRI and x-rays, the surgeon said he's actually not a surgical candidate, and just needs some serious PT. We're over the moon with the news! We apologize that Tag didn't stop by, but he'll be back again next week. I'm sure he'll be extra feisty, having been...ahem...forgotten (Sorry, Tag) this week.

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. So pleased Handsome is doing OK .Looking forward to all the renovation pictures.Take care dear Donna.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna