August 10, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Porch Project - Day Two...

Brynwood Needleworks - Kitchen Garden
 
Day Two began with shoring up the rest of the porch roof, so our masons could remove the rest of the decking and pillars. When the last support beam was up and the pillar removed, I checked to find my kitchen garden virtually undisturbed. These guys are really good!

Brynwood Needleworks - East Elevation - Front of Farmhouse

After all the joists and pillars were removed, they proceeded to add flashing around the entire porch area. This protects our main wooden sill beams from exposure to wind and the elements, as well as the clear stone that will fill in the base of the porch, and the concrete that will become our main porch floor.

As I walked around to the north side of the house, I was quite happy to see a small patch of hydrangeas that were left untouched (mainly because the masons wouldn't be extending the work that far around the house). I'll protect those plants, and after the project is finished, I'll move them to the outside north corner of the porch, where they can regrow to their former glory.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - South Elevation - Side Porch Area
 
After all the flashing was installed around the porch portion of the house, the guys cleaned up the rest of the build site, and unloaded more supplies for Monday. They're planning to pour the footings for the porch after the weekend. They loaded up the dumpster that's out in front, and then called to have it removed. They're finished with it now that the demo is done.

Handsome and I mowed grass, after I completed two projects in the studio in the morning. One is a commission, which is now ready to mail, and the other is a Birthday gift for Granddaughter #1, whose big day was yesterday. We're getting together with them on Sunday to celebrate, so I didn't have to mail this one.

I may go to the farmer's market today. I'm not quite sure. If not, I'll probably just take the day off and enjoy the weather...and dream of spending the last days of summer on our completed porch. Won't that be nice?
 
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Excellent progress is being made. You are quite fortunate that your workers are careful and neat. Enjoy your Saturday Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day 2 seemed to go as smoothly as day 1. Glad they are being thoughtful in their carefulness of your gardens and greenery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna