May 31, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - This Is What's Next...

Brynwood Needleworks - Liljegren's Hickory Hill Farmhouse
 
I've been getting a few private messages and emails, guessing what our next renovation project might be. Most have been thinking it's the kitchen, but truthfully, I can't make up my mind what I might want for the kitchen and pantry spaces, and they're completely functional, as is. There's another project that really can't wait any longer. This beautiful, big, wraparound porch.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Original 100 Year Old Porch - Newer Rails

The basic structure for the porch has been falling down over time. When it was originally built with the house, frost footings weren't a consideration. Usually logs and large stones were called into service. 

As you can see in the first image, there is a relatively new retaining wall. It replaced one that was coming down, and with it, the earth that supported those logs and stones...and the porch. Thankfully, the porch isn't pulling down the house, or the roof over it, as it's deteriorated. However, the southern section of the porch has quite the pitch to it, and the boards are pulling apart as the whole thing heads south.

Brynwood Needleworks - Porch Roof Pillars and Supports

It's a good thing small children don't live here, as the newer rails are wobbly, and unreliable. The concrete tops on the pillars are cracked from years of water expanding and contracting with the seasons. The stucco is damaged from water, wear, woodpeckers (yes, woodpeckers) and mousies.

Brynwood Needleworks - Original Porch Decking

If you look under my galvanized sinks, you can see that the porch has been this way for a while. When the siding was replaced, that bottom piece was cut to mimic the pitch of the porch at that time.

So, the plans have come in, we've got our budget, and we've chosen materials. This will be our major project for 2019...a new porch. It will include all new materials; new pillars and posts; a slight modification (removing the front staircase, to put a railing across the entire front) - but otherwise, the same footprint; removal of the sidewalk from the side staircase around to the front staircase; a new pad at the "friends and family" entrance, with a sidewalk to connect to the new side staircase; and (possibly) retainers for the planting area around the base of the porch (as that area will now have grass growing right up to it.
 
Our project will begin right after the 4th of July, and is expected to take about three weeks. Between now and then, I'll be slowly moving the hummingbird feeders away from the porch (they hang from the beam on the driveway side of the porch), so the hummers will be used to a new feeding area before the demolition begins. I'll also pull some of my kitchen garden plantings closest to the porch so they're not harmed during the project. 

We're really looking forward to this, and while the materials won't be the same (I'll reveal those at a later date), we always aim to honor the original house. We've traveled around our area, looking at the porches on many other farmhouses, and are confident that our project will achieve our goals, and still look like it belongs. It's going to be fabulous!

So, now you know, even if you're not getting all the details right away. Once the project is underway, you'll get regular photo updates. We'd love for you to share our excitement. 

I've got early appointments today, so I'm off and running. There won't be much studio time for me, but I'm hoping to get back to my Dresden plate table runner. 
 
I can't believe another month is almost over! It seems that just yesterday May began. sigh Thanks for stopping by. You know how much I appreciate it, right?

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. My goodness your lovely farmhouse is in dire need of a new wrap around porch. This will be a wonderful 2019 project and will add such a comfort and safe area for you and Handsome and Tag and Bella to enjoy the outdoors. I await your progress posts. Yes, May is all too quickly ending. June will be offering her amazements very soon...<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sure your porch when it is finished will make your beautiful farmhouse just perfect. I adore porches...they are such warm and inviting outdoor rooms. Will be looking forward to your photo updates. Have a great weekend Donna. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing sturdy porch you will have to enjoy for many years. Anxious to see the transformation & the chairs a rocking. Love your beautiful farmhouse, and yes all of your wonderful creations. Enjoy! Before we know it summer will be upon us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing the new porch and know it will be worthy of your home. Your farmhouse is gorgeous. I hope the hummers aren't too disturbed by the demolition and construction of the new porch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna