May 13, 2019

A Wonderful Weekend...

Brynwood Needleworks - Beautiful Mother's Day Flowers

After all the excitement of Friday night, it was hard to come back to earth on Saturday. I drove to town to help our nephew and his fiance' move into their first home. It's older than our farmhouse, and needs some TLC, but they're up to the challenge, and it's large enough for their family of six. They're so excited to be there, and their enthusiasm was contagious.

I arrived with a large crock-full of homemade chili, chili toppings (diced onions, shredded cheese and sour cream), rolls and chips. Handsome and I made it after we got home from the banquet on Friday night, and it cooked in the slow cooker overnight. There was plenty for everyone who came to work - plus the bit I put aside for our dinner when I got back home.

There were lots of boxes to unpack, so I thought I'd help where I could (without lifting those boxes). I washed all the cabinetry in the kitchen, and then I tackled windows and doors. When my niece got back to the house, the cabinets were ready for her to decide where things will start in the kitchen. I told her not to sweat it too much, because she'll likely change everything around once she starts actually working in the space. By the time I left, everything was put away.

My nephew's dad, and his future wife's dad both tackled the large fenced-in back yard first, mowing and picking up debris left over from winter. Then they mowed the front yard. Their property looked 100% better - and loved - by the time they were finished.

When I got back home late afternoon, there had been a flower delivery for me from our younger son, his wife and our granddaughters. They're so beautiful, fragrant...and perfect!

Brynwood Needleworks - Lilacs In Bud

Handsome and I spent most of our day outdoors on Sunday. We mowed the lower yard, leaving the dandelions in bloom on the upper hillside for the emerging bees and butterflies. We also did some maintenance on the large pole barn doors and gutters, and then ate lunch outside.
 
The lilac bushes are all greening out and budding. I can't imagine blossoms won't be far behind, which means lilac jelly in the next month. Yum! 
 
Bella discovered chased the black cat that's been my guest all winter. Thankfully, the compass barn doors were opened so the cat had a place to escape. She (I think it's a girl) jumped up to the loft where she stayed the rest of the afternoon. I took food out to her, hoping she calmed down. 
 
It must have worked, because when I looked outside before going to bed, she was curled up on the stairs to the porch. Yep. Right outside the house. Short memory or no fear? Your guess is as good as mine.
 
I love the promises that come after a cold and snowy winter. It's going to be a beautiful late spring and summer at the farmhouse. I hope you'll continue to join me as I celebrate the seasons this year.

Tag will see you tomorrow. He had fun outside this weekend, too. I'll let him tell you about it. See you Wednesday!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. You are so very thoughtful and helpful to work hard on your niece’s home. Taking chili and fixing was brilliant. Your home and land must be wonderful as it emerges from Winter. Fresh promises of new growth and beauty to enjoy. Happy Mother’s Day with those gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lilacs bloomed some time ago and are now finished. I had hoped to make some lilac jelly this year but it just didn't happen. I guess I can try again next year. Maybe next spring things will have calmed down and I will have more freedom to "play around." I so enjoy canning. I hope you are enjoying having Handsome back around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna