May 11, 2019

Oh, What A Night!...

Wisconsin Conservation Congress State Convention Presentation

Second only to marrying Handsome, last night was a highlight of my life. I was inducted into the Wisconsin Conservation Congress Hall of Fame for my service as an elected delegate from 1989-1996, and the work I did during those years.

I was notified of this honor about three weeks ago, and was invited, with my husband, to attend the final banquet of the 85th Annual State Convention to received my award. Of course, we went.

Chairman Larry Bonde Finishing My Introduction

I was overwhelmed to reach the stage, turn around, and see the entire room on their feet as they applauded me!

Speaking Before The Congress Delegation

Of course, I wrote an acceptance speech. The last time I addressed the delegation was as their state secretary in 1996. 

Female Delegates To The Wisconsin Conservation Congress

The year I left the WCC, the lady to the right of me in the back row had just been elected by her county. Since then, all these other ladies were elected in their respective counties. To date, I'm the only woman in eighty five years to have held one of the top three positions on the congress.

I was the first woman elected in my county; first woman to become a county chairman; first woman to be elected as an executive councillor; and first woman elected as the congress state secretary. I also held multiple committee chairmanships, and traveled the state - speaking to clubs, organizations and state boards and legislators - representing the congress and my county.

During my speech, I told these ladies that I guess I'm their Congress "grandma". lol I requested that we all take a photo together, and I was honored to hug each delegate, personally, after our pictures were taken.

Wisconsin Conservation Congress Master Plaque

I'm standing with the current Wisconsin Conservation Congress chairman, my friend, Larry Bonde. We first served together in our respective counties (I, in Fond du Lac county, and Larry, in Manitowoc county) in the 1990's.

The large plaque I'm holding is the master plaque that hangs in the main Department of Natural Resources offices in Madison, Wisconsin. Believe me when I tell you that the names engraved before mine were conservation giants in our fair state, and I'm humbled for my name to appear with theirs.

My Personal Plaque From The Wisconsin Conservation Congress
 
This is my personal plaque that we'll proudly hang in the farmhouse. You've seen my favorite quote on the bottom of my blog for the past ten years. These words were embraced by me in 1989 when I drove through the gates of the Wildlife Prairie Park in Peoria, Illinois (to teach needlework classes). They were attributed to the park founder, Bill Rutherford, and were carved above the gates.
I am humbled and honored to have been recognized last night by a group that I proudly served. I'll remember this evening and how I felt for the rest of my life. Oh, what a night!

PS-Thank you to Handsome for being my official photographer during the proceedings. I'm so grateful for your love and support all these years, and I'm so glad you were there to celebrate with me.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your smile says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations--what a wonderful honor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Dear. You look radiant and grateful to have served your county for so many years. Handsome takes wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic honor, Donna. Congratulations, well deserved. Thank you for all you do! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! That’s really something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, You looked absolutely radiant. I can only imagine you looking more radiant when you married Handsome. Reading this has brought tears to my eyes. I am honored to know you even if it be from afar. I certainly understand your love for Wisconsin, having honeymooned at Green Lake and spent many vacations both summer and winter there. You would make William Rutherford proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Donna! Amazing lady, I marvel at your abilities and special interests, including still another layer of who you are. Love seeing the photos too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Donna,a well deserved accolade.From Reading your posts over the years I know you’ve always been a loyal hard working girl.So credit where its due.Enjoy your award .As always Handsome takes great pictures.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna