April 18, 2019

Let's Not Do That Again...

Image ©Disney
 
 Some days, it just doesn't go by the book. 

My plan was to use wool batting between my quilt layers, merrily stitch out my quilt design, and have my piece ready to bind by nightfall yesterday.

Destiny hates wool (who knew?), to the extent that she blew her automatic cutter, and possibly chewed up her bobbin case. Dang! 

So, I thought I'd let Jane give it a go. Apparently, my semi-industrial machine can pitch a fit, too. She decided to just hang out in one place on my quilt and weave her own thread nest on the back of my quilt. Well, as that wasn't in my original design, I told Jane to go on break before she injured herself (or I did something I'd regret later).

I unpacked my Janome 3160 QDC ("Q", standing for QUILTING!), and she did the same darn thing! I guess they all had a plan to boycott wool batting. Word spread quickly. I was miffed, to say the least. 
 
Last night, I spent about a half hour unstitching what I had managed to accomplish before my machines decided to contract Sewing Machine Flu. Why? Because I give in. I'm switching out the wool to replace it with an organic cotton batting. We'll see if anyone will deign to produce a beautiful stitch for the front and back of my "Song of Spring" quilt today. Wouldn't that be nice?

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Thankfully your cartoon image has shown a very kind way of how you must have felt yesterday. I do hope your new batting is approved by your machines and you are able to complete your quilting. Blessings Donna Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Donna would you believe it.... it must of been international I’m not quilting day.I had the very same problem with my two machines yesterday.I am trying to quilt a small quilt and both machines were having a day off.I spent more time pulling out loops that anything else.Had to walk away in the end or bin the machines lol.Decided to leave until the weekend.Hope you have better luck with a change of batting,ivealways used wool and not had a problem before yesterday.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the switch works! Interesting about the wool batting! Who would have thought there would be issues!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Donna, That is quite interesting. I am about to try to do my first machine quilting. I have only done hand quilting before. I just finished up a lap size hankie quilt top. I was actually thinking of a wool batting. Not now! I have an "ancient" Singer that is more for just looking at, though it does come in handy if my one other goes on the blink. Then I have a Bernina that was the top model in 1976. My parents gave it to me as a graduation gift. After your post I think I will stick with the cotton. I already have that and it sounds as though I might have an easier time of it. I'm sorry you had to pick out stitching. I think that is one of my least favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna