June 15, 2018

A Little Studio Fun...

Sewing Box

I just got this cool sewing box that needed a little TLC and updating...and a couple of new screws. I'm going to take a trip to the hardware store today for those screws, but I started fitting out the inside yesterday.

The box is in really great shape, so I have to decide whether or not I'm going to adhere fabric to the inside, or just place fabric in the bottom of each compartment. What would you do?

Silk Roses Pincushion
 
I knew I wanted a small pincushion inside, so I took an embroidery that I had doodled a while ago, and sewed a green wool back to it. Finished and filled with crushed walnut shells, it measures a sweet 3.5" x 2.5". It now fits perfectly into the small box that my friend, Gisselle made for me.
 
I'll keep working on this over the next few weeks because I'd like to take it with me to Kentucky for my week of stitching. Let me know if you have any good ideas for fitting it out. I'll share more photos as I progress.

DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely sewing box and it reminds me of bygone days when ladies spent their time sewing and embroidering. I like your newest pincushion fittted into Gisselle’s yardstick box (I have one of hers too and love it). I like your idea of merely lining the sections wih fabric and not adhering it to the wood which would be easier to change out if so desired. Kentucky will be Sew Wonderful for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one exactly like that! I have several others similar, I collect them. I have beads in the one like yours. They are so much fun to collect! Wish I had room for more! Love your ideas for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is a lovely sewing box. Your embroidery work is beautiful as well. Hope you have lots of fun organizing and fixing it up. Have a suepr weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have three of them. I cut mat board to fit and in one covered the mat board with scrapbooking paper and then set inside the compartments. The next one I did in fabric and the final one I used an old cutting quilt. Then when I get tired it’s easy to change out and I am not interfering with the integrity of the antique itself. They are not easy to find out here in Arizona. Have fun and let us see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful box - My Mother-In-Law also used one (which I now own). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna