June 18, 2018

It's Home...

Our Farmhouse Butcher Block

When we purchased our "new" 100 year old butcher block the end of last month, I wrote about it HERE.  We made arrangements with the shop to have it delivered the next time they were in our area. Friday was the day!!

Two strong, young men, Dan and Cowboy (the tall one) carried it into the house, which we never could have accomplished on our own. But with their strong, young muscles, in no time at all, it was in our kitchen.

Our Farmhouse Butcher Block

When we do our kitchen installation, this will be the centerpiece of our layout. For now, it's situated in our work area near our gas range.

It can't be used yet, as it spent a considerable time in a woodworker's shop space prior to coming to us. That means it's not food prep ready. We'll start with a nice sanding, and then follow the instructions we found on the Internet to complete cleaning.

We've already given it a good scrubbing (Dawn dish soap, water and scrubbies), but we'll repeat that process again. Following that, we'll spray it with a vinegar/water mixture, and then rub it with a lemon juice/salt paste, allowing it to dry between each step.

Once that's done, and all cleaned off, we'll seal the refurbished surface with food-grade mineral oil. Then, we'll be able to use it for food prep in our kitchen. We'll do that this week, as I'm so anxious to be able to put it to work.

Our Farmhouse Kitchen

We changed things up in the kitchen a bit, andt it's actually more functional this way. My plan is to paint the oak china cabinet that's next to our fridge. I'm not set on the color yet, but I'll tackle that in a few weeks.

Kitchen Toward Windows
 
As the sun set behind our hillside on Friday, the last rays of sunshine settled on our beautiful butcher block. The other (blue) piece that I had in our kitchen will now be sold for someone else to love. Right now, the butcher block commands my attention every time I walk through or into the room. I can't help but smile. Lucky farmhouse. Lucky, lucky me.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Lucky Butcher Block because you and Handsome have saved it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...very impressive!!! And, perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Createology!
    We think so, too. I absolutely love it!!
    xoxo
    D
    PS. I'm not thrilled with this "no notification by email" change for my blog. Not one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jacque!
    Glad you like it, too. It really was a found treasure for the farmhouse.
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna