December 6, 2017

Christmas Decorating At The Farm...

Tree Ornaments
 
Saturday morning began with me unpacking Christmas decor that we've had stored since our move to Florida seventeen years ago. When we lived there, we chose a different direction for our decorating, choosing tropical blue hues, starfish and silver ribbons over our traditional northern colors.
 
I was so excited to start unpacking 36 years of Handsome's and my life together. We have a whole ornament trunk, filled to the brim with ornaments we've chosen and hung together. So many old favorites (including the glass ornament of Handsome, Kes, Fezzik and me in the center of this picture) that brought a smile to my face as I lovingly placed each one on this year's tree. I can't wait for him to walk in the door to see what will welcome him back to the farm for the holidays.
 
Dining Room Decorations

I set our beautiful Nativity set up on the table in front of our large dining room window. Remembering the Bible story of the Star in the East, our nativity is set up on the east wall of our home. 

Our tree is standing next to the front porch door, which we don't use in the winter. As it comes straight into the house from the porch, and the porch stairs lead to our front yard (with no driveway access), we just keep it closed until spring. It's a perfect place to place the Christmas tree, between the living and dining rooms.

Christmas Table Decorations

I placed a vintage crocheted tablecloth on our teak table, and then topped that with a table runner I made last year. My recently created Advent wreath, candles and our Christmas cactus sit on that.
 
Built-In China Cabinet

Our built-in china cabinet is on the wall across from the front window. It holds all our English transferware, flow blue and wedding china; my Toby jug collection; crystal and glassware that belonged to Handsome's parents so many years ago; and my collection of Royal Copenhagen collector plates (including yellow and black Labrador retrievers and Pembroke Welsh Corgi!). Once our kitchen is remodeled, the collector plates will go into the kitchen.

I chose to put all our family Christmas stockings here. (I realized I need to purchase two more for our girls!), and Handsome and my stockings (which we've both had since childhood) hang in the living room.

Our Tree

I so love how the tree turned out that I had to share a couple more pictures of it! The tree skirt was my first real quilted project. I took a class from a long-closed quilt shop in Fond du Lac in 1984. 

Mom (Grace) was working there at the time. I signed up for the class and I was the only student in that time slot. I had the full benefit of Mom's teaching skill, as she showed me how to cut, arrange and assemble the pieces to get me started. I think it was supposed to be a two-session class, but I finished it the same day and it went under our tree that first year Handsome and I were married.

It's been under every tree (no matter the decor) of our married life all these years. December marks the celebration of thirty three blessed years as husband and wife. 
 
More Ornaments

The barn ornament (right above my watermark) and the red snare drum (on the upper right side of the picture) are new additions this year. There's also a new Green Bay Packer glass helmet ornament that was a gift from our long-time Wisconsin realtor and good friend, Jim. That one can't be seen in this image, though. I think we'll also choose three new, special ornaments for each of our grandchildren to add to the tree this year.

We'll fill the farmhouse again with love and laughter as our friends and family gather together for our very first full Christmas here at the farm. It may be cold and snowy outside, but it will be warm and wonderful inside.

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. It all looks so cozy. And I know you had a wonderful time with your memories as you unpacked each piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tree and stockings and ornaments all hung with care. Such lovely Christmas Traditions you and Handsome have been celebrating for glorious 33 years...Congratulations indeed. Merry Christmas and may you spend many hours enjoying your beautiful decorations Sweet Donna. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree and decorations look so lovely, with so many shared memories and new ones to start this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna