August 31, 2022

Produce Waits For No Man (or Woman)...


Needle dancing had to be put on hold this weekend. Tomatoes I purchased from a local grower needed to be canned. Pears all came in, too. So...

I'd purchased 40# of tomatoes that I picked up on Thursday last. I canned the first 20# box on Saturday, and finished the second 20# box yesterday. The result of the second box is in this photograph. There were four jars of stewed tomatoes and three jars of tomato sauce. I pressure canned all of this, which only took 20 minutes, compared to a 45 minute water bath. What a time saver!

This is the left side of our pantry cupboard where I store my canning. Top Shelf - Applesauce, salsa, and ketchup. Middle Shelf - Zucchini Pepper Relish (legal tender around these parts!) and Bruschetta topping. Bottom Shelf - Preserved Chicken, Space for Preserved Beef and/or Turkey, and Hickory Syrup.

The top shelf is now full. I added the results of Monday's efforts to the tomatoes already shown in the photo. Second Shelf - pears from Andy and Shelly's tree. Andy eats pears. Shelly doesn't. They were generous enough to let me harvest this year's crop. I'll be sharing the canned jars with them. (There are a lot more to pick yet, too!). Next to the pears are my jelly and preserves: black raspberry jam in the little jars, strawberry jam, lavender jelly and lemon balm jelly. I also have smoky tomato jam there, which I use as a barbeque sauce. Bottom Shelf - canned sweet corn, and pickled beets, and I still have room for canned potatoes and squash.

Can you tell I'm loving my pressure canner? I'm getting more and more confident with it. I'll be doing broths this fall, too. I'm trying to return to the pioneer way of stocking shelves...No grocery stores full of over-processed foods back then. This way, I know exactly what's in our food. Seeing our shelves stocked is the most satisfying feeling. This winter, I'll have lots to choose from without leaving home. Now, if I could just figure out how to grow toilet paper! (Not really!) lol

I have a commission to create today, so that's what I'll be working on. The cardinals will have to wait at least another day. 

Thanks to everyone who was concerned for us after Tag's post yesterday. Handsome is fine. He landed in soft grass, even though he scraped his elbow. My shoulder and upper arm are still sore today, but Tylenol is my best friend right now. I'll be better tomorrow. Thanks again.

Happy Hump Day, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. You've been busy!
    I love the look of all those colorful jars.
    I hope your shoulder & arm feel better.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks. There's nothing quite like a pantry filled with one's own work product. It makes me "happy happy". My arm and shoulder are much better today. Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. The sense of satisfaction you must have as you gaze upon those shelves! Seeing your pictures makes me miss our cold cellar so much. Our apartment is simply too warm to be able to store much in the way of canned items although we do have a little fridge that we fill with as much as we can (zucchini relish for sure!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'd love a cold cellar, except that it involves going up and down stairs. There are days I really miss our Florida all-on-one-floor home. As soon as the weather cools off a bit more, I'll be adding the canned beef and turkey. I still have pears to do, so they're the most critical right now. Especially since more than a few jars will go up to Andy and Shelly. Did you find your zucchini yet?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. In quest of zucchini at our farmers market today. We got some last week so hopefully the same vendor will have more.

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Oh how you are making such progress with your new pressure cooker. Brave and wise you dear. Back to basics is the best. I shall be visiting the market too often still. Glad all of you are doing well after your falls. Goodbye August…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I'm so glad I faced my fears and went for it. It's so simple to use. I only need to sit nearby to make sure the pressure doesn't fluctuate, which is no trouble at all. Turn the heat down. Turn the heat up. lol (It's a gas range, so it's pretty immediate.) I'm feeling much better, thanks. I took it easy today and stitched. Can you believe tomorrow is September 1st? Gosh the time flies now. sigh
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. That is an impressive stash in your pantry. I like the thought of lots of non-commercially processed food. So much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marrianne:
      It really does taste better. Fresher and more "bright". Especially the tomatoes and jams. I may look for concord grapes yet this fall to do grape jelly. The whole house ends up smelling like a Welch's factory! lol
      Hope you're well, dear. I think of you often.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna