August 19, 2022

Not Bad At All...

I did it! I jumped right in yesterday, and put up twenty two ears of sweet corn. As I was shucking the corn in the morning, I tasted some of the corn that I was breaking off. It was so sweet, I served two ears with our lunch. The rest were processed for the pressure canner.

I read and reread the instructions, and then read them once more. I set everything up exactly as advised, and then read what I would need to do when the fifty five minute processing time was up. 

There were no incidents whatsoever! No damaged ceilings. No blown lids. No minor (or major) explosions. It was actually the easiest thing ever.  


I waited for the canner to vent all the pressure on its own. I certainly didn't want to try to rush the process and ruin my hard work. I watched television with a cup of tea, actually. When I went back to check an hour later, the gauge was back to "zero", and the little pressure popup "thingy" was back down. I slowly turned the lid to unlock it, and there were my nine beautiful jars of shelf-stable, canned corn waiting for me.

I am so glad I faced my fears, challenged myself to push forward, and having so much deliciousness to show for it. I'm quite chuffed, actually. Today, I'm going to do tomatoes. No luck needed. I think I've got this.

8 comments:

  1. YAY! You did it!
    It looks delicious.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! They look so pretty, all lined up and happy yellow! Your pantry is going to end up looking like a work of art. Take that, you pressure canner! Although, now you are obviously friends. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      That pressure canner and I are BESTIES now! lol I'll take photos of the pantry shelves in a few weeks. I have pears, potatoes, and squash to do yet. Perhaps I'll preserve some beef, too. We'll see.
      Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You're a brave woman! Certainly much braver than I. I do miss having a cold cellar because I would certainly be doing a lot more canning even though I don't know about a pressure cooker. I've seriously considered getting Resident Chef a InstaPot but don't know where he would store it. Confined spaces mean no extras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I can't believe it was so simple. All I had to do was follow directions. Playing with the knobs on my gas range to keep the pressure stable is the only piddly part. I understand the "storage" part. I guess my pressure cooker will reside in the basement when not in use.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I could find room for the pressure cooker - it's the keeping of the jarred food that would be a problem here. Our apartment is simply too warm for storing that sort of thing. I do miss having a cold cellar!

      Delete
    3. Ahhh. I should have thought of that. Now, Handsome wants to clean out our unused cistern area (now used to store Christmas decorations), build shelves, and use it to store my canning. Personally, I'd like to keep it upstairs in the pantry, rather than having to go up and down stairs with jars. We'll negotiate a solution. ;-)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna