August 17, 2022

That Was Quick!...

My pressure canning cookbook arrived in the mail yesterday. I've already started reading it, and can say that Diane Devereaux offers a wealth of information between the covers. 

She begins with the history of canning, explains the difference (not only in the obvious, but also in processing times, ingredients, and safety features) between water bath canning and pressure canning. There are two recipes she suggests novices try to get "fluent" in the use of the pressure canner, and then many more involved recipes for later.

The two practice recipes are for green beans, and for chicken breasts. Once pressure canned the chicken breasts are ready to add to any recipe, and she offers more than a few ideas for that, too. As I really want to be able to can meats so they're shelf stable, I'll be purchasing chicken in bulk as soon as the pressure canner arrives. (Amazon hasn't shipped it yet, but says it will be here on or before September 12th. I have plenty to do in the meantime.

I'm driving to my brother's today to pick up some of the tomatoes he's grown. I'm also going to augment them with another twenty pounds I located on FB Marketplace, so I can do a large batch. When I go back to pick up the rest of his, I'll take jars of stewed tomatoes to him as we agreed to split the harvest. 

He and I both love beets. Handsome isn't a big fan, so I'll share a few jars with my brother. I'm also going to surprise him with zucchini relish, which I'm sure he's going to love. (Actually, I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't!)

So, I'm off to eat breakfast and have some coffee before I get in the car and drive to my brother's. It's going to be a busy day! Oh, and in case you're interested in the cookbook, I bought mine in hardcover from Amazon. I paid just over $13 for it. They also have a spiral bound version for around $17. 

Adding my disclaimer: I have been in no way compensated (unfortunately) for sharing this cookbook with you. I've paid for it just as you would. My reviews are strictly my own.

See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect canning book.
    Great that you share with your brother.
    Have fun!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I highly recommend this book. There's so much information (and a lot of recipes) between the covers. I'm happy to share with my brother. He's always appreciative.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sherry of createology: Always so good to do your research on any given subject or project. Happy Canning…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sherry. I feel more confident with this book to walk me through all the steps. It's really informative, and she teaches canning, so I can rely on her expertise.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I'm going to be interested in your review(s) of the pressure canner and the results you get, not that I plan on getting one.
    Stopped at three places today in hopes of getting some large zucchinis but they only had the little ones. We like the large ones to make zucchini lasagna so I guess we'll have to keep hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      The Presto Pressure Canner is awesome! It's simple to use, comes with a thorough instruction/recipe manual, and has many fail safes. I hope you find the large zucchini you're seeking. I still have about six BIG ones to deal with. I so wish you lived around the corner so I could share.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna