August 27, 2022

We Interrupt My Needle Dancing...

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't do alterations. I'd rather make something start to finish than "fix" someone else's creation, or change the dimensions to fit. It's the kind of work that I truly despise. If anyone asks me if I'll alter something for them the answer is always an emphatic "no!".

My dear nephew, Dan (who I've introduced before) is getting married in September. We all love his future wife. They've been together for years, have twin daughters, plus she's "Mom" to his first two boys (who live with them full-time). In addition to being a great couple - they are perfect for each other - they're great parents to their children.

Dan comes at the drop of a hat when I need help, and he's always been my champion (next to Handsome), so when I got a text from his betrothed, I made a side trip to Fond du Lac today to do what I never do.

She was in a panic because she hasn't been getting return calls from where she purchased her gown to arrange to have it fitted. "Aunt Donna, will you please help?" I made no promises, but said I'd look at the gown, size up the issue, and then decide. She sighed an audible sigh of relief.

When I got to their home, she slipped into her gorgeous gown and we assessed what needed to be done. Tighten up the bust area (she'd lost weight since buying the dress), clean up the hemline, and add what would be needed to be able to bustle the back for the reception.

I know. I'm a soft touch. I love these two kids, and I can do what she needs done so her gown will be perfect for her most memorable day in her life (next to giving birth to their girls). So, the needlework project is on hold. I'll be in the studio helping my future niece step into a perfectly fitted gown on her wedding day. 

By the way, you understand why I'm only sharing glances of the gown. In the event that family or friends read this post, I wouldn't ever ruin the surprise of the groom's and attendees' first look. You'll have to wait until we go to the wedding to see pictures of her in her stunning (perfect-fitting) gown.

But in case anyone is still wondering...I DON'T DO ALTERATIONS. EVER. Nope. Not me. I just won't touch them at all. 

I love you, Alexandria and Dan. 

10 comments:

  1. So nice of you to help her out.
    But I wonder why the store won't answer her calls?
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      In answer to your question, I'm not quite sure. If I hadn't been able to do this for her, I would have contacted my classmate (who's on the reunion committee with me) and asked for her help. Her family has owned the wedding shop for over fifty years. I'm sure she could have helped get the job done in time. Luckily, that's a card I can hold for a later time.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you have to make exceptions! So kind of you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      Indeed, and this is an exception I was happy to make. I really love her. She's already family to us.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. There's no way on earth I would ever try altering a wedding dress - you are a brave, brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      The first time I cut expensive, couture fabric to make a wedding gown, I was a hot mess. Everything became easier after that first cut. I'm no expert, but I could do the alterations she needed to feel comfortable in the gown, so that's a win in my book.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. LOL! I so get you on this! I abhor alterations! No, no way, no, thank you! UNTIL it came to making major alterations to a wedding dress seven years ago - for my now beloved daughter-in-law! (-: Yup, there are those very, very special exceptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      The things we do for love, right? We're completely on the same page.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. How nice of you to alter her dress! I read that 2022 is the busiest year for weddings since 1984. I am sure bridal salons are overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diva!
      I'm sure you're right. People are getting back to normal, and all those things put off for the last two years, are now taking place. I'm so glad of it, too. It's going to be a wonderful celebration, and I'm planning to take lots of photos to share! Wedding is September 17th, and I'll have photos up by the following week. It's going to be fun!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna