August 13, 2022

Let There Be Light...


It may seem like a small thing, but when we're working at these counters at night, the main kitchen light is above and behind us. It casts a shadow onto the counters. So, I originally placed a table lamp on the counter which worked for a while. I decided the lamp took up valuable counter real estate, so I went online to find an alternative.

I didn't want to have to call an electrician (yet), so I looked for a wall mounted lamp with a switch. This is what I found and I put it up yesterday. The cow head has been there for years now, so I didn't want to move it, but once it got dark, Handsome thought the lamp did a great job of lighting up that ceramic head, and he isn't sure he's a fan of that.

The good news is that the lamp shade is nearly 11" in diameter, so it casts wonderful light past the cow head and onto the counters. I personally like the location of the cow, so I'm lobbying for it to stay there.

I will remove one screw on the cow head so I can move the lamp cord behind it. You had to know that the off-center placement was going to bother me. lol  I still have to put a back on the cabinet on the right, and paint it, too, but I've been busy with other things so far this summer. Perhaps in the fall I'll tackle that project. Of course, there's always winter, right? For now I'm going to enjoy the extra lighting (and counter space) and my DIY skills. I'll think about painting another day.

10 comments:

  1. The lamp looks nice.
    I like the Cow where it is. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new light reminds of vintage barn lights which I love. Perfect with the cow! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      Exactly what I was going for. We had vintage white ones installed on our porch. I love them!
      Thanks.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. The light looks as though it belongs there and it has the perfect ambiance for your farmhouse style. Cow included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. Just stumbled across this idea and thought how pretty they would look in your farmhouse ... https://thecrownedgoat.com/how-to-create-crock-inspired-paint-cans/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, MA! I have all the supplies to do that. It could be a fun project for one of our craft Saturdays in Portage! (I have a number of the Keillor jam jars, too. I love mine.)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: I like your cow vdry much. The new light is just right for Hickory Hill Farmhouse. Let the light shine…

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna