March 18, 2022

RIP, Otis...

Kitty and Opossum Prints


Otis' footprints first appeared on the driveway in early February of this year. Later in the month, I saw him snuffling around in the lawn in search of birdseed. Then, one day, I saw his footprints in the snow near the overhead door of the Compass Barn, along with the cat prints. I knew he'd been in the barn - at least overnight.

Soon, he was making himself at home in the barn. I shared photos with you once Otis moved into Crystal's bed. He loved her bed. I had a non-electric warming pad in it, and that seemed to suit him just fine. No one else has slept there since. 

Otis Moved Into The Drum


Next, he discovered the 55 gallon drum next to the workbench, likely when on the bench to eat Claudette and Crystal's evening leftovers. 

I'm Trying To Sleep

I laughed to see the bed I'd put into it for Claudette moving around while I was putting out their breakfast. I guess he smelled the food and it woke him up. He liked sleeping under the bed, rather than in it. I think he felt safer that way.

I went to the barn to feed my cats yesterday morning. As always lately, I check to make sure Otis and Big Grey are comfy, too. Claudette's bed didn't move as it usually did when I put the morning food out for the girls, so I lifted the pad to see if Otis was there. He was, but he didn't look at me this time. I finished feeding the girls and then went to grab a pair of my work gloves.

I went back to the barn and moved the board, then the bed, so I could get a better look. I felt him and he was still, but I wanted to make sure he wasn't just "playing 'possum". I lifted him, and realized he was stiff and lifeless.

Sadly, Otis passed away sometime between the prior evening's dinner time and breakfast. Opossums have a rough life and a short lifespan in Wisconsin, but I'm happy knowing that he live a pretty cushy life the last month or so.

Laid To Rest

Wearing my gloves, I gently lifted him out of his bed, along with some of the bedding he'd grown fond of. I carried him like a precious package up the hill and into the woods, where I found a lovely spot for him. I placed his bedding down on the leaves. Then, I gently placed his body onto the bedding.

Otis' Resting Place


I gathered branches and more leaves and made a shelter for his remains. I'm sad he's gone, but grateful that I got to watch and care for him. I'm glad I could make his life comfortable after he found our barn. I know he was "just a wild animal", but when you have a chance to interact with one, it changes you. I cared about this little opossum.

Yesterday, I cried over his passing, and treated his remains with respect as I gave him back to the land. Claudette had followed me partway up the hill. As I came out of the woods, she meowed her silly meow and bounced across the tall grass to walk back to the barn with me.

I checked the other shelter to see if Big Grey was still okay. He looked at me as I smiled and returned the shelter roof back in place. I put a little extra food out for him last night. The girls and dogs all got extra cuddles from me all day and into the evening.

RIP, Otis Redding.

10 comments:

  1. RIP Otis, you had a great home the last few months.
    I think Possums are cute in their own way.
    Most people don't like them, but i do, & they are good for us to catch critters & stuff.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree. They're "strange cute", and I love them. In our case, it's most valuable that they eat up to 5,000 ticks a day in the summer, but winters are so hard for them. I'd open a little Opossum B & B every winter if I could. Thanks so much for your condolences.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Awww. Glad he found such a lovely home (with a loving hostess) to spend his final days. But, I hope word doesn't get out amongst the other critters (more than it already has)... your Compass Barn is going to turn into an animal hostel and/or hospice. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Yes, I am so grateful I was able to support him in what turned out to be his end days. These sweet critters don't have more than a few years in the wild in Wisconsin. It's really not fair for as beneficial as they are. I'd gladly open a 'Possum B & B every winter just to make their lives more comfortable. If only...
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You have such compassion. Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie. It's really easy for me when it comes to animals. It seems the older I get, the more precious life (for all creatures) is to me.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. His last time on earth was a comfortable one and you should console yourself with that. Still hard though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Knowing that makes his passing easier for me. I just felt so sad all day yesterday, and I'm still misty eyed as I reply to these messages. You're right. It's hard.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Thanks for giving Otis such a wonderful home for his last months. Animals are so precious and you are such a blessing Donna. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda-
      It was my great honor to care for another of God's creatures. I always wish they had more time. Thank you for your kind words.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna