March 12, 2022

Change of Plans...

Feeding The Birds

I'd originally planned to be on my way to another craft day with my dear friends in Portage today. Plans changed last night when I got a message saying there were some sick kiddos at the hosts home. Better to take care of babies instead of crafting, to be sure.

That means I'm going to get another full day to work on the petit point canvas I showed to you yesterday. It appears that most comments on my post yesterday are leaning either to black or blue. So, I'm going to do a little of each on the canvas and see which one I like best. (These were both my choices, too, by the way.)

I'm sharing this photograph today from last weekend. After the snowstorm, Otis Redding (the name I gave the little black opossum who visited this area before the snowstorm) moved into the Compass Barn with Claudette and Crystal, and the birds were looking for food. I filled their feeders, and it didn't take long for the word to get out. He hasn't left all week. Otis has taken over Crystal's bed, and during the day, he snores away while Crystal and Claudette snooze right above him in the southern exposure window (in the sunshine).  

Not only were these red-wing blackbirds happy to see the smorgasbord, but cardinals, bluejays, morning doves, chickadees, purple finches, nuthatches, and woodpeckers (two different varieties) showed up, too! We also have two large crows that show up a few times every day. I've taken to calling them Heckle and Jeckle (for those too young to know, they were cartoon characters from my childhood).

Had we kept craft day for today, I would have left home by 7:30 am. Instead, I could sleep a little later, and devote my entire day to working on my needlepoint piece....as soon as I feed my barn girls (and Otis). Time to go...

6 comments:

  1. We have hundreds of Canadian Geese sitting here on the river.
    They came back on a warm day & now it got colder again.
    I kinda feel sorry for them.
    This is the only open area of water, the Marsh is still frozen.
    They just don't know where to go.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thankfully, it's supposed to warm up to nearly 60ยบ this week. We've got them all over here, as well. Robins, too! I'm looking forward to it!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Best not to go where there are any sickos and it's not that you don't have anything to do instead.
    Loved the bird photo. Not too many are back here yet although I did see one lonely vulture flying over the river last weekend. Expect likely he's the advance guard and was checking things out before the rest come. If it's like other years we'll have over a hundred here for a week or so before all but a couple pairs move further north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MA-
      I worked on my np project today. Petit Point takes FOREVER! I bet I only completed 1.5 square inches so far. sigh When we lived in Florida, we'd always see vultures cleaning up road kill on the side of the road. We referred to them as "first responders". lol
      Happy Weekend!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy your wildlife and their antics. Enjoy working up the colors on the beautiful petit point stitchery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I tried all the colors. They either caused portions of the design to melt together, or the darkest blue just seemed too "precious". I went with black. Now to decide how it will be finished when I'm done with the stitching.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna