March 3, 2022

Bearly There and Fresh Bread...

Tummy Flowers
 

I realized yesterday morning that I had a little more left to do than I originally thought. I finished all the flowers on the bear's tummy, and then checked my pattern one more time. I was looking to see how the designer suggested attaching the legs to the body. (Remember, I've never assembled a real teddy bear before and wondered if there were some special tips. There weren't.)

The instructions for the bear aren't very detailed. I think Miss Barrett might have geared her pattern to those who've made such things prior to tackling her design, so I've mostly drawn on my garment-making skills to create this little bear.

Anyway, when I reviewed the pattern, I noticed that her design also had floral elements around the buttons that will attach the limbs to the body, so I set to add color to those areas. I finished both "shoulders", and only have the "hips" to do. That will happen today, and then I can assemble all the parts to create my finished bear.

I also mixed up a batch of bread (four loaves) when I got up yesterday, so I was taking fresh bread out of the oven by 3 pm. I went back and forth between the kitchen and the studio every thirty minutes until the bread was baked. The house smelled great!

Then, late day, Handsome went to the freezer in the basement to grab something we were going to thaw out for dinner, only to find that, although the freezer light came on when he opened the door, some of the food was starting to thaw. We were unable to locate an appliance repairman at that time, so we spent the next hour emptying the still-frozen meat into coolers, and the softer items into the freezer on our refrigerator.

We'll find a repairman first thing today and hopefully, get to the bottom of this issue. Just what I didn't want to deal with this year. The freezer is only three years old. We shouldn't be having problems with it for another ten years or so. Guess they just don't make them like they used to. sigh

I'm planning to share a finished bear tomorrow. I'm so anxious to see her put together, and Handsome thinks I should do a boy bear next.

8 comments:

  1. Ms. Bear is looking good.
    Homemade bread smells soooo good!
    UGH! Hope you can get help for your freezer, yes, things don't last like they used to.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn!
      No serviceman today. Now we wait.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Miss Bear is looking so good!
    So sorry about the freezer though - hopefully it's just a small fix. Thankfully Handsome caught it in time before you lost everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MA.
      Yeah. Dang freezer. Bad freezer. Now it's supposed to get into the 50s over the weekend, so we can't even depend on WINTER temps to help out. UGH New little freezer to the rescue.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Your little bear is looking lovely. So annoying when relatively new appliances start to have problems. I've had dishwasher and TV issues. As you say, they don't make them like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marrianne:
      Thank you so much. I'm having so much fun making her. Not happy with the freezer right now. Not happy with lack of appliance repairmen either. Can't get anyone here before some time next week. Ugh!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Your little Bear is looking so very sweet. Love your embroidery embellishments. Hope the freezer was just a loose plug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thank you so much, dear. I'm loving the whole process of making her. Plug was the first thing we checked. Light was on. Not freezing food. On strike. Bad freezer. New chest freezer to the rescue until we can get the lazy upright back to work. Very frustrating as the upright is only three years old.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna