December 4, 2019

Birthday Reflections...

Brynwood Needleworks - Photograph by SCLiljegren ©2019

I come from hardy stock. At least on my paternal side, the women live into their late 90s and early 100s. I hope to join their ranks, which would grant me another thirty or so years on this earth. But, let's face it, I'm in the late Autumn/early Winter of my life. This Birthday is a landmark. This month I became eligible for Medicare.

I found myself reflecting on my life and other landmarks. I remember turning 16, and then 18 (which at that time was the age of majority), 21 which came with all the maturity and responsibility. I remember, most fondly, my 30th, which was the year I married my beloved Handsome. In my 50th year, I made the decision to quit coloring my hair. I decided then that I wanted to age gracefully. I strive every day for that to be the case.

I have always tried to live my life according to my favorite quote by William Rutherford which I share at the bottom of my blog, "The way to use life is to do something that outlasts it." I have only ever competed against myself, choosing to be the best "me" possible, but I've also worked diligently to leave a legacy that would be memorable, noble, and honorable for my family. My grandchildren will know that their grandmother wanted to leave this world a better place for them.

My hair is turning silver now. I'm not completely white, but it's getting there. Yes. I could color it, but why would I? I love everything my naturally silver hair represents. Each silver strand represents a lesson, a love, a laugh, a loss, a triumph, a tear, boundless joy, and deep, wracking grief. Each silver strand represents who I am, where I've been, what I've done, and how I've tried.

I once told my younger daughter-in-law that I considered Botox for the deep wrinkle between my brows. It's a family trait (also on the paternal side of my family), and there's no natural way to escape it. This wise, young woman said to me, "Do you want to look like you never had a serious thought in your life?" See? I said she was wise. I decided the wrinkles are also who I am, and while I wish those might slow down a bit, they're also a part of who I am. My wrinkles come from things like belly laughs with my family, tears of sadness over losses I never thought I could survive, days spent in the garden tending plants, and hours spent in my studio parsing out a sewing problem. They're map lines of my life, drawn across my face.

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but they see more than they did when I was a young woman. My hands are arthritic, but they still create beautiful things, and hold the hands of my grandchildren and my beloved husband. I'm blessed to welcome new children into our family, and look forward to the day our grandchildren will bless us with the next generation. I hope to be here to hold those babies, too.

Brynwood Needleworks - Photo by SCLiljegren ©2019
 
In a moment of silliness, I bought this beautiful "woodland" crown, knowing I would put it on for my landmark Birthday. Like the crowns I made for my granddaughters, that they wear every year, I'm going to put this on each year from now on when I celebrate another of my own.
I'm going to continue to live my life with purpose and integrity - to be a good example whether or not anyone is watching. 
Thank you for being here to read my musings...especially this long one today, but like I said, I was moved to be reflective today. You know that I don't celebrate my Birthday for just one day, right? I'm still perfecting (and teaching our grandchildren) the art of the extended Birthday. I'll continue to celebrate, but this is my Birthday post for this year. I'll continue to count my blessings every day. Just know, when I count my blessings, you're always included. Here's to the next year. I'm going to make it a great one!
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can,in all the places you can,at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." John Wesley.
    Don't forget, you make us laugh. You and your little cohort Tag make a good comedy team.

    Happy Birthday from another, who in September, got on the Medicare bandwagon. I say better over the hill than under it!
    Pat D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully said--happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see serenity in your face Donna - and I think that is something we should all hope to have. Have a blessed Birth Day (and week!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written post! Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Dear! You look beautiful!
    Your post is inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Donna Dear. This post is such a beautiful tribute to the art of aging Gracefully and being an excellent role model for others. I also embrace my age and my wrinkles and flaws. I am so grateful for how God made me and I do not wish to change anything. You are gorgeous inside and out my friend. Happy Birthday every day! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Donna, My paternal grandmother had snow white hair. I thought it was the most beautiful thing when I was growing up. My dad has snow white hair. My hair I believe is always going to be salt and pepper. Probably as I have coveted snow white hair so much. lol I don't mind the grays and have never tried to cover them up. I greet each new birthday happily. I have survived another year. I have never had a problem telling others how old I am. Each year is another flower added to my bouquet of life. So yes, you celebrate all you do. My goodness life is too short to try to make believe you aren't growing older. It's an honor to have another birthday as I know only too well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had the best of days Donna.A beautiful girl inside and out.Age is just a number ,and mine is greater than yours my friend, but still above ground and making every day count.What a lovely twinkle you still have in those beautiful eyes.Keep sharing your thoughts and daily doings as I truly love them.❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna