March 11, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Kitchen Update...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Kitchen Shelving

I was going to wait to show you this area until after the new base cabinets were in place, but I decided to share now. I wanted shelves for displaying my much-used vintage enamelware. Now, instead of putting them away in cabinets, they're out on display.

Brynwood Needleworks - Kitchen Shelving Before and After

I began this project by putting another coat of paint on the walls. I also painted the crown molding white to match the rest of the woodwork in the house. I only now noticed that the outlet cover is unpainted. I'll remedy that today. I have white covers that I can use to switch that out.

The base cabinet was custom built by a grandchild of the former owners, and was loaned to us until we could decide what we want for the room. It will be returned as soon as the cabinets arrive. We're ordering a base cabinet with pullout drawers on the left side of the stove, and another base cabinet on the other side for storing baking pans, sheets, and our baking stone. Both cabinets will also have a drawer for utensils. I do love having the wooden spoons and whisks on the counter, but the spatulas and such are kept in drawers.

Brynwood Needleworks - Kitchen Cooking Area Update
 
I helped my nephew, his fiance', and my sister install the shelves onto the prepared walls. Understated cast iron brackets were attached to the oak shelving, and then multiple hands supported the shelves until they were screwed in place.
 
Now that the enamelware is on the shelves, I realized that the entire installation "elevated" the feel of the room. The shelves accentuate the height of the ceiling, and I think that's an added bonus. All day Sunday, whenever I entered the room, I had to stop and admire our new shelves. I can't wait for Handsome to see them for himself, rather than in photographs. 
 
I'm hoping to have the lower cabinets in place by the time he comes back to the farmhouse, too.  I'm going to see about ordering those next week.

I know what I want to do with the opposite wall now, too (where the china cabinet is), but that will wait until after Handsome gets home. I'll have drawings for him by then, so I can show him my vision. It's a little too hard to explain on the phone. For now, I'm going to enjoy the results of this, our most recent project.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Gives the room a cozier look - more 'farm housey'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new shelves look fabulous. I like the cozy look it gives to that wall and space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hickory Hill Farmhouse is looking wonderful. These Oak shelves are beautiful and your enamel ware is perfectly displayed and useable. Your kitchen is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Donna, It just looks so nice. It makes me want to tear out my cupboards and put up shelves. It is just so airy. My kitchen is so little though I need the cupboards so that I can stuff all of my stuff into them. I don't think I would be able to do that with open shelves. Our last house had been built in the twenties and had it's original cupboards. They had a frosted kind of glass for the doors and accomplished the more airy feeling. Most of it was the the original glass. The owners who sold it to us told Jim and I where we could find replacement glass. They had broken one of the doors. They searched until they found a source that had glass from the twenties that they could use. At that point they knew the glass must be original to the house. We never broke any though. Maybe glass doors would help here. This house was built in the late eighties. Jim and I were looking forward to redoing so much of it. I just don't know if I will be able to now. I sure have fun living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna