March 2, 2019

Farmhouse Renovation - Kitchen Project...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Kitchen Shelf Idea
 
I'm working on a project this weekend. Handsome and I got all the supplies before we went to Florida, so only I have a few things to do in preparation. 

I've been saving lots of pictures of farmhouse kitchens (remember this post?), and I study every detail of the images I've saved. I keep going back to this kitchen picture. Read on while I explain.

Brynwood Needleworks - Sherwin Williams Paint Color - Repose Gray
 
This is the paint we've used throughout the farmhouse, along with Ibis White for the woodwork. So, this weekend, I'm going to start this project by painting another coat of paint on the range wall (Uncle only painted one coat because we weren't sure what we were going to do in the space when he was working here).

The kitchen in the photo has high ceilings - like our farmhouse - and we've been contemplating just how we would install an exhaust fan for our gas range. Building practices were different in the early 1900s, and it's quite possible that, in order to install the exterior duct work, it would be necessary to cut into a vertical stud that supports the house from ground level all the way to the ceiling in the second or third floor. Not really something we want to do. We've discussed most options.

Then, the obvious occurred to us. This house has never had an exhaust fan in the kitchen, so how necessary is it, really? (I almost never burn anything, and if I have a smoke issue, I have multiple windows I can open to clear the room out.) You can see in this photo that there's no exhaust above this range either. So you know what that means? We could do the same thing here, and install shelves!

In December, Handsome and I went to the same millwork company that supplied all the custom woodwork we installed when we built our last Wisconsin home. We purchased beautiful oak shelving, and I found some really wonderful brackets for them.

Next weekend, my sister will be here to help me install the shelves. It's really a "four-hand" task if I want them level! Then I can show you what I have in store for them.

I'll take before and after pictures so you get to see what we're doing. I'm now settled on the rest of the room, but it's going to be in stages because I think we still need to do the floors first, and truthfully, it's a project that could end up being much more involved than one might think. I'll tell you about that in a future post.

For now, I'll be getting out the paint, brushes and ladder. Once that's done, I'll share photos and tell you more about the project.

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. You are wise to take your time and collect lots of photos and ideas. Growing up we never had any exhaust fans over any stoves and Mom never burned down the house. Your colors are wonderfully soothing. Four hands are definitely better for lots of jobs. Please be careful when laddering. Saturday Satisfaction Dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna