December 28, 2018

UPDATE: Grandma's Cup Shelf...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Cup Shelf
 
 Well, this certainly didn't take long, did it?

I showed this cup shelf to you yesterday, with my post about how I wasn't sure whether to leave it the way it is, or update it with sanding and paint. I've made my decision already.
 
Yesterday, I also posted this image to my Facebook page, where my aunt (Grandma's daughter) saw it. She told me that it used to belong to her grandmother (my great-grandma), and she remembers seeing it in Great-Grandma's house, filled with lots of cups and saucers. She also said that she thinks it older than our farmhouse. Grandma was 97 when she died, and it was her mother's before it came to her.

You know how much provenance and history means to me. That's all it took for me to decide that it's going to continue its life looking just as it has for the past 100 plus years. I know those of you who commented also agreed that it should not be painted. We're all of like minds. 
 
I'll cherish it just as it is, with all the history it holds on those rusty cup hooks, and time-worn boards. I'm pretty sure my great-grandmother, my late grandma (and I know my aunt!) are happy knowing that. Who knew my decision would be that easy?

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. Knowing all that history now you should write it out with approximate dates and names all the way to you and put it on the back of the shelf along with the fact this is it’s orig color. That preserves it much like we are taught to do with our needlework for future generations. What a cherished piece for the farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provenance always adds just the proper backstory for keeping something treasured as it should be. Now to write it out and keep it with this beautiful and practical display shelf. It enhances your dishes too dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I'm glad you aren't painting it! I loved reading the story behind the shelf. That is a wonderful heirloom and treasure! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna