December 27, 2018

Grandma's Cup Shelf...

Brynwood Needleworks - Grandma's Cup Shelf

Not too long ago, I was given the cup rack/shelf that belonged to my paternal grandmother. I remember it hanging in her kitchen when I was just a girl. I'm not sure, but I suspect it once belonged to her mother.

Brynwood Needleworks - Grandma's Cup Shelf

I've been spending too much timing trying to decide whether or not I wanted to sand it and then paint it, so I finally got out my tools and hardware, and hung it on the wall yesterday. I'm still not sure if I want to leave it this dark color, but I do know that I wanted it up while I was thinking about it. Having it on the wall might help me decide.

I hung my Memory Lane cups, saucers and platter up, along with one white, stoneware platter I bought at Pottery Barn years ago. I like seeing my acorn embellished cups hanging from the same, old hooks Grandma used.

(***Thanks again to my girlfriend, Denise G. for starting my collection of red and white Memory Lane acorn transferware a few years ago. I love them!)

Brynwood Needleworks - A Corner of Our Farm Kitchen
 
So, while I'm thinking about it, here's my view of the shelf, newly mounted in our farmhouse kitchen. I'll enjoy thinking about all the fun times at Grandma's house whenever I look at it. 

What do you think? To paint or not to paint?
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. No, I wouldn't paint it. You look at it and your grandma comes to mind with the memories that go along with it. Let it stand out. It looks great and I bet becomes a conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your shelf and the memories it holds for you. You are wise to hang it now and enJOY it...just the way it hung at Grandma’s house. Blessings Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd leave it original too. Such fond warm memories. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it as is - the memories are there. Paint would cover them up somehow. My mother in law had one too. She went to a pottery store and had mugs with kids names done so they had a mug when they came. You knew it was meant to be when as a new daughter in law you would see your cup appear. Such great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely shelf. Live with it for a while and then see how you feel. How nice to have something like that. It's nice that you have the memories also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice memory to have hanging in your house! The dishes are pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would leave it as is if it was my choice. But as someone said, live with it for awhile, then decide. I love the patina on old things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna